Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driver seat “clicking” - Driving me nuts!

Reactions
Has anyone else experienced the driver seat making a clicking noise anytime your weight shifts in the seat? Any turn I make causes it to click and I can reproduce by just wiggling my butt in the seat while stopped. I know exactly the location of it and I can stop it entirely by applying firm pressure down right where the arrow is pointing. But I can’t find a way to make it stop without pushing down using my finger. I’m tried taking off the plastic cap cover the seat bolt and shoving foam padding in there, tightening the 1 screw holding the plastic cover to the floor, removing the screw entirely, adding foam between the plastic and metal floor…nothing stops it except the downward pressure at the arrow point.
Any suggestions? I’ll probably take it to dealer but my life long experience with dealers is interior noises they are useless at fixing. This has been happening for probably 2 years now.

Attachments

hbalek

Reactions
Has anyone else experienced the driver seat making a clicking noise anytime your weight shifts in the seat? Any turn I make causes it to click and I can reproduce by just wiggling my butt in the seat while stopped. I know exactly the location of it and I can stop it entirely by applying firm pressure down right where the arrow is pointing. But I can’t find a way to make it stop without pushing down using my finger. I’m tried taking off the plastic cap cover the seat bolt and shoving foam padding in there, tightening the 1 screw holding the plastic cover to the floor, removing the screw entirely, adding foam between the plastic and metal floor…nothing stops it except the downward pressure at the arrow point.
Any suggestions? I’ll probably take it to dealer but my life long experience with dealers is interior noises they are useless at fixing. This has been happening for probably 2 years now.
I've had this for almost 4 years and learned to live with it. I just play music loud!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I've had this for almost 4 years and learned to live with it. I just play music loud!
Yes my ST does the same. Mine seems like it is on the front left side of the seat though and seems only when I turn right with some acceleration.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I thought I was going crazy! My wife never hears it when she drives or from the passenger seat. Now my wife is tiny and i'm not a huge man, 6' 210, just worried I was pushing limits of Ford engineering lol.

JAD11

Reactions
I have the same issue. So, there's a TSB out # 22-2100 (supersedes 21-2185 for 2020-2022 STs). Your VIN has to be associated with the TSB to be fixed under warranty - my VIN isn't associated (I have a 2021 ST). I'm trying to find a way to get Ford to add my VIN to the TSB. Customer service tells me they have no way to escalate. I'm back trying to get my dealer to figure it out. I will report back if I find a way. Check to see if your VIN is associated...

kDiqq

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Stinkin Aviator
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post some info. My wifes Aviator does the same thing and the PN for the trim and rails are the same as the Explorer. Tonight I removed the two-piece trim (contemplated throwing it in the trash) and shook around in the seat - nothing. I'm going to try spraying the backside of these plastic pieces with Plasti-Dip to try and close up gaps and give a softer interface.

The noise is driving me up a wall, it's really annoying. The TSB doesn't cover this issue, it's caused by that plastic trim. If you do decide to remove it, there's 1 Torx (T20?) under the cover in the back, 1 under the cover in the front and 2 more on the outside of the front cover, somewhat under the seat. You have to pull the front one forward, release the clasp between the pieces from the backside (SUPER challenging, there are 3 elements to the clasp that need to be released, I had to use a pick from the backside), the front piece will slide out. The back piece is pinned by the seat bracket, so it has to first go forward, then up, then you can snake it off.

This is a wall of text, I can shoot over photos if anyone is else is doing this. It's honestly not that ugly with the trim removed and it is quiet...

JAD11

Reactions
Apologies for not getting back sooner. I was lucky enough that my FL dealer had a Warranty Manager who knew his stuff. He figured a way that qualified my VIN for the TSB 22-2100 fix and it was performed. The fix made my seat noises 1000% better (minor noise at times - shifting in the seat hard and body flex). The point is that this TSB was worth it. Now, of course, there may be other causes for noise in the seat plastic surround, but, fortunately I don't have those. I do have the crackling from the rear sunshades, and a passenger B pillar noise that I can't trace down (love to hear from anyone having fixed that one). Bottom line is I love my ST, however, $60k plus shouldn't have this many squeaks and rattles. I know FORD has a Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) group, and they're failing on the Explorer...

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
and a passenger B pillar noise that I can't trace down (love to hear from anyone having fixed that one). Bottom line is I love my ST, however, $60k plus shouldn't have this many squeaks and rattles. I know FORD has a Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) group, and they're failing on the Explorer...
Checking the undercarriage as the plastic fasteners can fail and it caused me a lot of 'window rattles' (more ticking noises) and getting that secured fixed it.

JAD11

Reactions
Thanks for replying! Question though, 'undercarriage?' Do you mean inside the door panel, under the slot/opening where the window shade slides up from?

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
The felt type material under the car hanging down. Lay down near driver side or passenger side and look up.

Pyro

U.S. Marine Veteran
Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Apologies for not getting back sooner. I was lucky enough that my FL dealer had a Warranty Manager who knew his stuff. He figured a way that qualified my VIN for the TSB 22-2100 fix and it was performed. The fix made my seat noises 1000% better (minor noise at times - shifting in the seat hard and body flex). The point is that this TSB was worth it. Now, of course, there may be other causes for noise in the seat plastic surround, but, fortunately I don't have those. I do have the crackling from the rear sunshades, and a passenger B pillar noise that I can't trace down (love to hear from anyone having fixed that one). Bottom line is I love my ST, however, $60k plus shouldn't have this many squeaks and rattles. I know FORD has a Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) group, and they're failing on the Explorer...
I have the same exact seat and rear sunshade door crakling sounds! Really annoying

Reactions
I have the rear sunshade crackling noise. I have been trying to figure it out for years, it mainly happens when it's warm out. On one side I replaced the sunshade at my cost and the new one still did it. On the other side, I removed the sunshade housing and just glued the top trim piece back on with no shade so it didn't look awful. That side doesn't make any noise now. So I believe it's a poor design with the sunshade housing and it creaks as it gets warmer and colder. It doesn't seem like there is a solution. I am wondering if they fixed this for the 2025 model because they look exactly the same in the pictures and I will not buy one if that the case.