Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Fuel octane?

NewGuy

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
The hell am I reading here??? This is a 3.0 lol. The reason you run high octane is to prevent detonation, knocking etc. This is specific to high output engines required for that octane, far from 3.0 ecoboost. OR, guys that have tuned their rides which would be required in order for the tune to run efficiently.

My experience with ethanol, is that it needs to be sampled ALL the time in order to be effective. I've got a Shelby GT350R that I was running this through. It's highly corrosive and water soluble. For daily driving 3.0's sure why not, it's when it sits is the problem

Reactions
I've run nothing but 87 octane since day one. No idea what the dealer pre-filled it with for me when I took delivery, although I'm willing to bet it wasn't high-test.

No issues running on 87. I have no doubt I'm down a few horsepower because of the lower octane and the engine auto-adjusting timing etc etc, but whatever power I have lost can't be a whole lot since this thing still goes like stink whenever I want it to. And for my purposes, which is basically commuting to and from work on the highway in a heavily trafficked multi-city area, I will never be racing it at 240kph or drag racing it on a regular basis, and if I ever want to tow with it or take it on a very hilly drive on a hot day I'll fill it with high test first.

Averaging just around 20-21 mpg consistently since day one.

Edit: Yes, now you may all go ahead and lambaste me for not using 93 octane. Go ahead, I'll wait lol.
Good to see this octane conversation is still alive and kicking.

For anyone who may be reviewing this thread looking for advice on long-term effects of using 87 octane in one of these vehicles: for reference, when I made the post I quoted above in Feb 2021, I was at around 25,000km or so on the clock. Since then I did as I promised, August 2021 I filled up on a tank of 91 (best in my area) when I had to tow a 3700lb camper. In times when I had the trailer off during that expedition, very little noticeable difference in driving performance between 87 and 91. Since that trip of around 500km or so, 87 octane ever since.

Today parked in my driveway with 134,500km on the clock. Zero engine issues to date, runs just fine. Probably a good 80-85% of that is highway driving. Still gets up and goes like snot when I need to fly down an onramp or pass some slow fucker on the highway. No rods through the block, no pistons through the head, no unusual noises, no explosions except the ones that are supposed to happen.