Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Downpipe volume increase?

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I currently have the 3" Thermal exhaust and love the way it sounds. My only personal downside is that I wish it were louder!

If I would consider the Thermal a 5.5/10 on a loudness scale, how much louder would chatted downpipes make the exhaust?

I'm trying to determine if the cost of purchasing and installation would be worth it as I don't want to spend all that money if it will only make my exhaust just a little louder.

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I will know as soon as I can get my 3" catted downpipes in from Whoosh. Been waiting around 3 weeks now. Only thing that hasn't shipped to me other than my intake from Lethal. I personally love how loud it is at the moment and hope it doesn't get much louder. Going by your scale, I would hope it wouldn't surprass a 6/10, but that's pretty doubtful for a cynic like myself.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I have the spd 3 inch catted down pipes w/midpipes but with stock exhaust after that. Didn't make it any louder....maybe slightly deeper in the stock exhaust tone if anything. Perfect for me as I did not want to have a loud exhaust lol

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Anyone else that started with an aftermarket exhaust & stock DPs to then aftermarket DPs that can comment on how much louder it made your system overall?

Wholdy

Reactions
I have the spd 3 inch catted down pipes w/midpipes but with stock exhaust after that. Didn't make it any louder....maybe slightly deeper in the stock exhaust tone if anything. Perfect for me as I did not want to have a loud exhaust lol
Are your turbos at all any more audible? Been considering this set up for quite some time now, very curious.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Are your turbos at all any more audible? Been considering this set up for quite some time now, very curious.
Only driven the vehicle for a week now after all the work was done. Only thing I noticed so far are the turbos are more audible only when doing a quick pull and letting off quickly, for example a 20mph-35mph. However, I had the whipple Intercooler, AFE intake and tune all done at the same time as the downpipes.

I imagine most of the noise is coming from the afe intake.

Going to do some more aggressive driving this weekend and let you know if there are any other differences

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
Anyone else that started with an aftermarket exhaust & stock DPs to then aftermarket DPs that can comment on how much louder it made your system overall?
I started with the 3 in thermal and while it sounded good was kinda disappointed by how quiet it was especially with the Feng turned off. I’m all honesty it sounded better with the Feng in my opinion just more of a full sound. I ordered some Cvf downpipes 3 weeks after adding the thermal. I had my local cord dealer install them for around 600 bucks. Aside from the dealer not plugging in one of the lower o2 sensor connection I haven’t had any Cel or issues. The sound is noticeably louder. If the 3 In alone was a 5 then the downpipes made it a 7-8 depending on how you are driving. At WOT I’d say it gets loud AF in a good way. You also get occasional pops on downshifts, you hear the turbos clear as day, and the idle is beautiful it reminds me of a diesel truck that’s the best way I can describe it. For me it was definitely worth the money spent as it now sounds like what I expected the 3 in alone to sound like. There is also a noticeable increase in top end pull.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for that assessment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wholdy

Reactions
Only driven the vehicle for a week now after all the work was done. Only thing I noticed so far are the turbos are more audible only when doing a quick pull and letting off quickly, for example a 20mph-35mph. However, I had the whipple Intercooler, AFE intake and tune all done at the same time as the downpipes.

I imagine most of the noise is coming from the afe intake.

Going to do some more aggressive driving this weekend and let you know if there are any other differences
Thank you. Much appreciated!