Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Door keypad issue

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I see plenty of complaints about the same thing on other Ford sites. Ford says their vehicles will go to deep sleep mode without use for two weeks, although my keypad shuts off after one. So don't know if that is related to my problem, especially since Ford Pass still works. There could be a lesser sleep mode it goes to.

Why does my vehicle enter Deep Sleep mode?

Deep Sleep mode is designed to conserve battery power on your vehicle. This setting is activated when your vehicle falls under the following conditions:

• Vehicle inactivity for 14 consecutive days
  • The battery voltage drops below 9.5 volts
  • Extremely cold/hot weather conditions

If your vehicle goes into Deep Sleep mode, in order to "wake it back up," your vehicle must be started manually. It may take 20-30 seconds for your modem to reconnect with FordPass™.
Thank you for this info.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
So after the keypad shutdown again after just a few days I decided I would test the 14 day everything shutdown. Exactly 14 days to the minute after the last time I used the car I got a Ford Pass notice saying all remote access was disabled and those icons were gone. Then with the key fob in my pocket the door did unlock when I touched the handle, and then after I activated the car the remote features returned along with the keypad. Just something to know.
Screenshot_20220214-153718_FordPass.jpg InkedScreenshot_20220214-153924_FordPass_LI.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
So after not using my ST for six days, the keypad shut down again. This time by accident and experimentation I found the keypad still works but the numbers just do not light up to show where they are. If you really need this feature in that situation a small paper template could be made for your wallet, or maybe some other method. Just glad to know it still works, if only hidden.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
What is the setting that allows you to lock the car up with the key fob in the car? I tried to do that and it keeps automatically unlocking (with double honk) when I go to close the door. If I remove the key fob, it'll lock, so it's definitely sensing the key fob and not locking. I tried going through the Sync settings and couldn't find anything.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Only way to do that is to press 7-8 and 9-0 simultaneously on the door keypad. That will lock the key fob in the car.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Only way to do that is to press 7-8 and 9-0 simultaneously on the door keypad. That will lock the key fob in the car.
This is how I lock my ST because the keys always stay in it. You may also use your phone to lock it, as my wife does at nighttime.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Pretty sure tapping any two numbers together locks it. Does for me.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Pretty sure tapping any two numbers together locks it. Does for me.
No, just 7-8 and 9-0. Been that way 40 years with Ford keypads.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No, just 7-8 and 9-0. Been that way 40 years with Ford keypads.
Yep you’re right. Thanks for the correction. Never knew that, I guess I just always managed to hit that combo and it obviously worked.

Inkus

Reactions
Thought this was important to add. If you leave your key in the car as many here do and the car goes into deep sleep mode, you cannot unlock it with the app or door keypad. Mine went into deep sleep after 5 days. Waiting on roadside assistance now. 2020 MY with 20k miles. Would be nice if Ford at least gave me a heads up before they shut me out.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
See post #13 here.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/st-key-fob.5024/#post-66856

Just be aware that if the car is not used for five days the door keypad will shut down and cannot be used. Also after two weeks the modem will shut down and the phone access cannot be used. It can also be earlier than two weeks if it decides to do the battery save thing early, or if it receives a modem update. I have seen all these things. At that point the only way into the locked car is with the key fob.

Reactions
See post #13 here.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/st-key-fob.5024/#post-66856

Just be aware that if the car is not used for five days the door keypad will shut down and cannot be used. Also after two weeks the modem will shut down and the phone access cannot be used. It can also be earlier than two weeks if it decides to do the battery save thing early, or if it receives a modem update. I have seen all these things. At that point the only way into the locked car is with the key fob.
Couldn't you just use the spare?

Inkus

Reactions
Couldn't you just use the spare?
I would use the spare, except my wife has the spare and she's further away than roadside was. Just trying to make people aware that leaving keys in the car can create a problem. I saw the post on how deep sleep mode is supposed to work. I'm sharing my experience with it. It definitely only sat 5 days. The battery didn't seem at all weak when I cranked it up after roadside opened it. I'll get the battery tested when I get the opportunity. I'll definitely at least keep the valet key somewhere else.

Reactions
I would use the spare, except my wife has the spare and she's further away than roadside was. Just trying to make people aware that leaving keys in the car can create a problem. I saw the post on how deep sleep mode is supposed to work. I'm sharing my experience with it. It definitely only sat 5 days. The battery didn't seem at all weak when I cranked it up after roadside opened it. I'll get the battery tested when I get the opportunity. I'll definitely at least keep the valet key somewhere else.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. My wife and I only take the keys to the vehicle we are currently driving and leave the others in the cupboard. Each set has a house key, a key fob, and/or car key. Since you are leaving the fob in the vehicle, you could remove the door key from the fob and keep it in a handy spot for such situations.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I will have to keep this in mind if we go on a flight or go on another cruise. Really hoping for a cruise later this year. It would really suck to come back and be unable to get the vehicle unlocked. Again, I have only seen my keyfob a handful of times in the past 2 1/2 years of ownership.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thought this was important to add. If you leave your key in the car as many here do and the car goes into deep sleep mode, you cannot unlock it with the app or door keypad. Mine went into deep sleep after 5 days. Waiting on roadside assistance now. 2020 MY with 20k miles. Would be nice if Ford at least gave me a heads up before they shut me out.
Did you try the app on your phone? Did it say it was in deep sleep? Five days is the exact amount of time for the keypad to shut down. That is not deep sleep mode and the phone access would still work. Having said that, it is certainly possible a battery problem also caused deep sleep but the two are not related.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I will have to keep this in mind if we go on a flight or go on another cruise. Really hoping for a cruise later this year. It would really suck to come back and be unable to get the vehicle unlocked. Again, I have only seen my keyfob a handful of times in the past 2 1/2 years of ownership.
This can also occur at any time. We have no control over it and it will shut down access from the phone.
1677372402486.png

LBKII

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ford explorer ST
May I ask why anyone leaves the key in the vehicle and then enters and exits via the doorpad? What am I missing as to the benefit?
Key fob is bulky that my reasoning.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Amen to that, I don't want one more thing in my pocket.