Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Door keypad issue

Jgrabina

Reactions
Is anyone else having an issue with the keypad on the door not lighting up when you try to push a button to use it? I am having an issue when trying to use the keypad that it will not light up so I can use it to gain access to the car. It is intermittent so it is kind of frustrating. Am I doing something wrong? I simply try to just tap a button until it lights.

Reactions
same issue….wondered if it was only me! lol

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yes, I have this issue also. More so in the winter time. We leave the key fob in the ST at all times, so this can be frustrating at times when I can't get the keypad to light up, but eventually I get it to work by continuing to touch it or running my finger down the numbers. I think my wife can unlock with her phone, but mine isn't set up to do so. I might have the dealer look at it before the warranty runs out.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yes, I have this issue also. More so in the winter time. We leave the key fob in the ST at all times, so this can be frustrating at times when I can't get the keypad to light up, but eventually I get it to work by continuing to touch it or running my finger down the numbers. I think my wife can unlock with her phone, but mine isn't set up to do so. I might have the dealer look at it before the warranty runs out.
May I ask why anyone leaves the key in the vehicle and then enters and exits via the doorpad? What am I missing as to the benefit?

lespaulh

Reactions
I experienced this and was confused too. then I figured this out:

Use your palm and swipe down first (with meat of your palm). Works every time to wake it versus a single finger press. I think it’s by design.

Reactions
May I ask why anyone leaves the key in the vehicle and then enters and exits via the doorpad? What am I missing as to the benefit?
So I don't have my ST yet, but I use the keypad on my current Edge all of the time. If I'm going for a run or somewhere that I don't want to carry my bulky keys around in my pocket I lock them in the car and use the keypad to get back in. The bulkiness probably isn't an issue if you just had your keyfob by itself, but I have 5 or 6 other keys plus keychains and such which make it bulkier.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I can certainly understand the reasoning to use it occasionally...but several on this site seem to keep the key in there always. thanks for reply

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
It does really make it convenient. My wife uses the ST most of the time and I just use it occasionally. I never have to go looking for the keys. Some have an issue with the vehicle more likely to be stolen, but I am not sure that this is true statically. My wife told me she can turn it off with her phone from anywhere and anytime.

Reactions
If the Keyfob is in the car, wouldnt the door be automatically unlocked upon grabbing the handle by anyone?

Reactions
I always leave my key in the ST and use the keypad to get in and out. Frustrating when it doesn't work, especially in the rain. Going to try the full palm method next time it adds up.

Definitely keeps it way more convenient not having to carry a key and/or multiple keys but you do lose out on some certain features and such. And if it ever does get stolen.. you're SOL if they can prove (which they will) that the key was in the vehicle. Insurance won't help at all from what I hear!

Reactions
I always leave my key in the ST and use the keypad to get in and out. Frustrating when it doesn't work, especially in the rain. Going to try the full palm method next time it adds up.

Definitely keeps it way more convenient not having to carry a key and/or multiple keys but you do lose out on some certain features and such. And if it ever does get stolen.. you're SOL if they can prove (which they will) that the key was in the vehicle. Insurance won't help at all from what I hear!
Dont see why would they. Its literally like leaving older car keys in the ignition. Just cant see them out in the open.

Would the Ford app still turn the car on with the keys inside? I mean if the app works perfectly fine, you really dont loose any features.

Reactions
FordPass works great and locks the doors for you even with the keys in the car.

FOOT ACTIVATED LIFTGATE! and honestly the hatch in general. As dumb as it sounds... there have been times when I've wanted to use the foot liftgate and then honestly going up and trying to open the locked hatch and not having the key.. it won't auto unlock and open. Walking around 5 steps and tapping on the keypad 5 times till it works to open the trunk gets frustrating sometimes. First world problems.

OP
Jgrabina

Jgrabina

Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Just so you don’t need to carry it around.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

From my research, your insurance company will still cover your loss. Theft of a vehicle is still stolen property whether or not your keys are in it. I would suggest that you lock it at all times. A broken window would show that you had secured it properly.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I have experienced the failed keypad issue since I purchased my 2022 ST. It always shuts down if I have not used the vehicle for several days. I have tried the full palm and all the other suggestions to no avail. Even after unlocking it with my phone and opening the door it still does not work. Only after I turn the vehicle on does it begin working again. Seems like they designed it to shut down if the vehicle has not been used for a while, which of course is really dumb. During the past week as I walked past it several times I have touched the keypad just to see it light up so that is not enough to prevent the shutdown. I wish they had kept the mechanical buttons like on my other Explorers.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have experienced the failed keypad issue since I purchased my 2022 ST. It always shuts down if I have not used the vehicle for several days. I have tried the full palm and all the other suggestions to no avail. Even after unlocking it with my phone and opening the door it still does not work. Only after I turn the vehicle on does it begin working again. Seems like they designed it to shut down if the vehicle has not been used for a while, which of course is really dumb. During the past week as I walked past it several times I have touched the keypad just to see it light up so that is not enough to prevent the shutdown. I wish they had kept the mechanical buttons like on my other Explorers.
This cannot be possible that they designed it to shut down over time with non-use, as I believe that they designed it for the keys to remain in the vehicle at all times. So if I didn't use the ST for several days I would not be able to get in. Of course my wife can use her phone as a back up and I have another set of keys at home, but if it were to go into some kind of sleep mode, this could potentially put me in a real jam.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I see plenty of complaints about the same thing on other Ford sites. Ford says their vehicles will go to deep sleep mode without use for two weeks, although my keypad shuts off after one. So don't know if that is related to my problem, especially since Ford Pass still works. There could be a lesser sleep mode it goes to.

Why does my vehicle enter Deep Sleep mode?

Deep Sleep mode is designed to conserve battery power on your vehicle. This setting is activated when your vehicle falls under the following conditions:

• Vehicle inactivity for 14 consecutive days
  • The battery voltage drops below 9.5 volts
  • Extremely cold/hot weather conditions

If your vehicle goes into Deep Sleep mode, in order to "wake it back up," your vehicle must be started manually. It may take 20-30 seconds for your modem to reconnect with FordPass™.

Magician

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I added these to my side pillars and haven’t had an issue since. 97DF5D37-57FD-4B7F-B334-666DACE9EC84.png