Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Door glass replacement

Reactions
While on vacation last week some *&#%@ tried to break into my ST. They tried smashing the passenger door glass. Luckily it just cracked/spidered. I have replaced window regulators before so I think I can replace the glass myself. Anyone have any insights? I am also seeing laminated or tempered. I assume I need the laminated version but not sure

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Front door is laminated. Rear is tempered…unless they changed it. Either way it’s a 20-30 minute swap. It just snaps into the track. Take the door panel off, the inner door skin is held on with 1/4 turn fasteners. All the window mechanism is attached to that.
…pop that loose so you can clean out any broken crap then slide out the old and slide in the new.

OP
bender953
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Front door is laminated. Rear is tempered…unless they changed it. Either way it’s a 20-30 minute swap. It just snaps into the track. Take the door panel off, the inner door skin is held on with 1/4 turn fasteners. All the window mechanism is attached to that.
…pop that loose so you can clean out any broken crap then slide out the old and slide in the new.
Turned all the 1/4 turn fasteners but the top of the inner skin won't release. Can't figure out what's holding it.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Lift up. The top lip hooks on the sheet metal. One of mine took a little effort to get it to pop loose. Get the door handle bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bender953
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Not talking about the door panel. Talking about the black plastic panel behind it inside the door that holds the window motor and covers access to the glass connectors inside the door

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not talking about the door panel. Talking about the black plastic panel behind it inside the door that holds the window motor and covers access to the glass connectors inside the door
Got it. Never had to go that far when I did my sound deadening project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bender953
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Never did figure out how to remove inner black panel that is behind the regular door panel. After numerous online searches I couldn't find window removal for the Explorer so I looked at removal for other Fords and found out you can roll the window down to a point where the brackets line up with 2 coinciding holes in the black panel. Then a simple push in with a screwdriver in the holes to release the tabs that hold the glass. You can pull up on the glass and it slides out. Then once you slide the new glass in it just snaps back in place on those tabs. I was used to windows being bolted to the regulator. I am old school.