Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Diagnostic assistance - intermittent rattle

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Looking for some support from the experts here. When driving at highway speeds, there is an intermittent rattle coming from the right rear door / wheel area. I checked if there was any loose exterior trim, they seem mostly secure. It will rattle 1 or 2 times every few minutes and is more frequent at higher speeds (ok around here highway speeds tend to be 70 - 80 mph). Any suggestions? This is a new issue, e.g. it wasn't there until maybe a week ago max. Thanks in advance!

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
great news! appears to have been the golf clubs accidentally left in the back. I love an easy fix!! :D

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
wasn't the clubs. when I brought it in to the dealer the other day to replace the driver window control switch that cut my typing finger, they said this rattling is a known issue and will be replacing both rear door trim panels.

Cici3

Reactions
wasn't the clubs. when I brought it in to the dealer the other day to replace the driver window control switch that cut my typing finger, they said this rattling is a known issue and will be replacing both rear door trim panels.
I noticed that my window switch has a sharp edge to it also! I will bring that to my dealers attention!

Reactions

What door trim panels are they referring to?

My car has started exhibiting the same kind of rattle on the highway. I was thinking it was flutter at the back of the sunroof causing a rattle in those areas.

Reactions
Mine is doing the same thing. Only happens at highway speeds and on perfectly smooth roads.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
dealer can fix this. per the thread in the post just above yours "yeah good news, so it looks like they fixed it. So it would seem it was one or more of the underbody panels needed to be tightened or fasteners replaced, 'adjusted'. I didn't get too much detail but it appears resolved. "

Reactions
Dealer fixed yesterday. It was the underbody panels.

Reactions
What door trim panels are they referring to?

My car has started exhibiting the same kind of rattle on the highway. I was thinking it was flutter at the back of the sunroof causing a rattle in those areas.
Underbody panels are loose

Reactions
Underbody panels are loose
Do you know which specifically? In looking around, it seems like it might be the one with the flap just ahead of the rear wheel?