Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Deep Sleep Mode

Reactions
Anyone had any issues with going into deep sleep mode. Mine sat for a week, and it went into deep sleep mode-understand this is normal. Now every time I take it out when it is parked I come back and it has gone into deep sleep mode.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
What’s the downside?

OP
jpm2988
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
What’s the downside?
I usually leave the key fob in the car—the only way into the car is with the key fob, ford pass is shut down, and key pad is also shut down. 1st time I was in a restaurant about 3 miles from home, texted Ford support, figured they would send a signal like OnStar, but no, was told they would have a service tech out in approximately 2 hours. Called a friend to take me home to get the 2nd key fob. Now it seems like ever time I go out and park it she goes into deep sleep mode.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That would make me question the integrity of the battery.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I would bet leaving the fob in the car causes certain sensors to stay active leading to a higher drain on the battery. At this point, I'd agree with @GearHead_1; your battery is compromised.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
You may want to go for a long drive. Car just parked and then a few short trips will not help the battery.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sounds like the battery isnt getting back to being above the deep sleep threshold. It happened to mine after it sat for a week as well. Put my battery tender on it one night and havent had it happen again since it got a full charge. As @northof60expST stated, a long drive could give the alternator time to fully charge it as well.

TCNLA

Reactions
Anyone had any issues with going into deep sleep mode. Mine sat for a week, and it went into deep sleep mode-understand this is normal. Now every time I take it out when it is parked I come back and it has gone into deep sleep mode.
I have 17K miles on a 21 ST and have had this issue for about 4 months now. Suggesting that I take more frequent trips and that the trips should be longer than a short ride. I took it to my local dealer and they said that they couldn't get it to "throw a code", therefore they had nothing to troubleshoot. I took it to O'Reilly's to get them to check the battery/alternator. They said that there was something drawing the battery down.

I have NO confidence in a $55K vehicle that tells me that I can't leave it in my garage for 4 days without losing battery power.

I contacted Ford Customer Service. What a joke. I traveled the world in an hour. Philippines, Columbia, Houston, Michigan. Started a case # and was disconnected and was not called back. They ASSURED ME that there was nothing wrong with the battery or charging system, but that it is a FordPass issue, or a Sync3 issue. I've updated BOTH, and the problem continues. I'm actually considering GETTING RID OF THE VEHICLE because of my lack of confidence in it and Ford "quality".

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I have 17K miles on a 21 ST and have had this issue for about 4 months now. Suggesting that I take more frequent trips and that the trips should be longer than a short ride. I took it to my local dealer and they said that they couldn't get it to "throw a code", therefore they had nothing to troubleshoot. I took it to O'Reilly's to get them to check the battery/alternator. They said that there was something drawing the battery down.

I have NO confidence in a $55K vehicle that tells me that I can't leave it in my garage for 4 days without losing battery power.

I contacted Ford Customer Service. What a joke. I traveled the world in an hour. Philippines, Columbia, Houston, Michigan. Started a case # and was disconnected and was not called back. They ASSURED ME that there was nothing wrong with the battery or charging system, but that it is a FordPass issue, or a Sync3 issue. I've updated BOTH, and the problem continues. I'm actually considering GETTING RID OF THE VEHICLE because of my lack of confidence in it and Ford "quality".
Ill give you 40k for it

TCNLA

Reactions
LOL. I said I was thinking about selling it....not giving it away. :)
Rapid Red, tech package, sport package. Garage kept. Spotless. Not a scratch.

Reactions
Was having the same issue with my wife's hybrid Escape (huge POS)..

FordPass didn't work from day 1 due to the vehicle being in Deep Sleep Mode. Nothing we did would change it.

2 years later... brought it in the other day for passenger door keyless entry not working and passenger BLIS going off randomly.

They replaced the body control module under warranty... Fordpass now works every single time, no more deep sleep mode.

Not sure if this helps you at all.. but after years of not using Fordpass and being told nothing is wrong with battery and charging system (had them tested multiple times).. was able to fix it with a new BCM lol.

TCNLA

Reactions

FordPass didn't work from day 1 due to the vehicle being in Deep Sleep Mode. Nothing we did would change it.

2 years later... brought it in the other day for passenger door keyless entry not working and passenger BLIS going off randomly.

They replaced the body control module under warranty... Fordpass now works every single time, no more deep sleep mode.

Not sure if this helps you at all.. but after years of not using Fordpass and being told nothing is wrong with battery and charging system (had them tested multiple times).. was able to fix it with a new BCM lol.

Thanks. I’ll show this to a dealer if I find a reputable one.

hbalek

Reactions
Thanks. I’ll show this to a dealer if I find a reputable one.
Don't give up on it! My dealership has fixed everythiing for me the past 3 years and I'm keeping it. I had a lot of work done on mine over the past 3 years. The latest is I took it in for an oil change 2 days ago and asked them to check my CV boots/joints. They confirmed both sides are leaking grease and need to be replaced under powertrain warranty/no deductible at 36,200 miles. I did purchase a $1500 extended 7year/85K mile PremiumCare back in November which has a $100 deductible. As far as battery goes, my original battery completely failed at 17,000 miles back in 2021 and was replaced under warranty. They said it was a defective battery and not my electrical system. So my BCM has never been replaced but we'll see if this battery lasts more than 2 years or more.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I should add that MY2020 has a TSB for frequent deep sleeps. Involves flashing the firmware for several modules. I'm assuming it is eliminating parasitic drains with the car off.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I should add that MY2020 has a TSB for frequent deep sleeps. Involves flashing the firmware for several modules. I'm assuming it is eliminating parasitic drains with the car off.
From NHTSA

SSM 50975
2017-2022 Various Ford And Lincoln Vehicles - Deep Sleep Mode Notification In FordPass® And/Or LincolnWay® Cell Phone Apps

Some 2017-2022 Ford/Lincoln customers may experience a notification in the FordPass®/LincolnWay® app indicating Vehicle Has Entered Deep Sleep Mode. This occurs when the vehicle has not been started for 14 consecutive days, battery voltage is at/below 9.5 volts or the body control module (BCM) 12 volt battery state of charge (SOC) drops below 50%. A warning may also set if the telematic control unit (TCU) has received an over the air update. The TCU powers down all communication when in this mode and app features are disabled. Manually start the vehicle to wake if from mode. More information is located in the app under: Account > Help > search 'Deep Sleep' in the entry box. If the condition remains, check the BCM 12v SOC. If the SOC does not change after charging the battery or after BMS reset is performed, continue with normal battery and/or BMS sensor diagnostics.

Copper2020

U.S. Navy Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Def a battery issue, I had the same issue and battery remedied the situation.