Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Dealer visit and request for warranty work expectations?

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
Hey all, new owner of a 2020 as of this week. Has 19k miles. 3/36 expires in October. Taking it into dealer for first time for oil change, and a few recalls that weren't taken care of. Rear camera and another one or two I think. I plan to ask them to look at several items under warranty. What should I expect from dealer for these requests especially when I request so many items to be looked at?

1. Heated steering wheel doesn't heat up at all. Was 35-40 degrees last few days and it definitely doesn't work.
(Now I'm familiar with heated steering wheels and this one definitely doesn't work.)

2. Window switches on drivers door peeling chrome.
(The window switches, one is started to peel already and 2 others are sharp and feels like it will peel soon.)

3. Headlight condensation
(Headlight condensation bothers me as it's just constantly damp in the Seattle area. So both headlights basically always has condensation after any drive over 15 minutes.)

4. Engine rattle on cold start up.
(Engine sounds normal after it's fully warm. But at cold start it's very obvious rattlesz like lifters clicking or something. Not sure. Read a post about it recently on here and the guy took a video. Sounds like mine, need to find it.)

Love the car otherwise!
Sent from mobile sorry for any formatting issues.

Attachments

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Heated steering wheel and window switches should be warranty no problem. The headlights I guessing they will say it's normal. Have seen others with that and it wasn't warranty. The engine noise I have no idea. All you can do is ask them. If it's only on cold start that means you would need to leave it. Good luck.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Heated steering wheel and window switches should be warranty no problem. The headlights I guessing they will say it's normal. Have seen others with that and it wasn't warranty. The engine noise I have no idea. All you can do is ask them. If it's only on cold start that means you would need to leave it. Good luck.
Second on everything. Be amazed what people will get when you just ask them. For the start up rattle I believe there is an issue with those year for the cats making noise? Just an idea. Good luck with the visit.

OP
RedbearST
Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
Thread Starter #4
I attempted to record a video of the startup rattle/noise and discovered the sound is coming from underneath the car. More of an exhaust vibration/rattle and found a thread with the same sound. Appears to be a known issue with a TSB fix to clamp the rattling flex pipes and subsequent exhaust flex pipe replacement if not resolved. https://www.explorerst.org/threads/exhaust-rattle-video-attached-thanks.3578/

OP
RedbearST
Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
Thread Starter #6
OP
RedbearST
Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
Thread Starter #7
Vehicle was completed today, was in for 7 days. The experience was good. I didn't ask for a loaner as I thought it would be just a few days. They provided a loaner (rental car) once it was Friday and it still wasn't done.

1. (Heated steering wheel not working) Replaced entire steering wheel under warranty as wiring and socket for heating element as well as clockspring was melted. Not good but glad it was replaced.

2. (Driver door window switch chrome peeling) Replaced drivers door window switch module under warranty.

3. (Heeadlight condensation) Didn't ask for this to be looked at. Researched further and is normal and hasn't been an issue recently.

4. (Engine noise exhaust rattle) Replaced left side Catalytic Converter under recall. No excessive exhaust noise or rattle discovered afterwards.

5. Check engine light for low warm-up temperature.
Engine knock sensor and thermostat (ECT) replaced under warranty.

6. Rear camera BSOD recall, not performed says on hold 3/15 but reprogrammed to IPMB latest software. Not sure what that means but infotainment wasn't giving me any problems before. Hopefully stays that way.

I requested new battery, full syn oil change, brake fluid, cabin filters

Happy with the factory warranty and how they took care of those items. Heated steering wheel wiring and subsequent steering wheel replacement is what caused the longer repair time.

BTW: Left my stainless steel UPR catch can installed and had no issues with dealer.