Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

CV Boots

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
What is the likelihood or having both front CV boots torn? What would be the cause? I haven’t ran over anything, which leaves me totally confused.

Attachments

Reactions
That is very strange. Did the clamp break or is the actual boot split?

Irlonzo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
youre not the only one. 14k miles

Attachments

Reactions
Driver front CV boot separated at the narrow end and could move down and up the shaft.

30K miles on a 2020 ST.

Axle replaced under warranty.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Stoffius

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I just noticed the same thing on mine. Taking to dealer on Monday. Passenger side only. 23k miles.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
On some explorers they tightened the small clamp on the outer boot too tight and the boot tears. Ford Boss has a youtube video if you want to search.

hbalek

Reactions
I think I may have both CV boots leaking grease on mine at 35,000 miles and just less than a month past the 36 month warranty. I did purchase a Premium extended warranty for 7 years/84K miles. Hopefully these will be covered under warranty. Does anyone know if this had a recall or TSB on it because of the clamp being too tight and damaging the boots?

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
I think I may have both CV boots leaking grease on mine at 35,000 miles and just less than a month past the 36 month warranty. I did purchase a Premium extended warranty for 7 years/84K miles. Hopefully these will be covered under warranty. Does anyone know if this had a recall or TSB on it because of the clamp being too tight and damaging the boots?
UPDATE: I went in for an oil change on Thursday, and they confirmed both CV boots are leaking and must be replaced. They ordered parts for me and one is on backorder. This will be under powertrain warranty with no deductible, as I am at over 36,200 miles. My Extended Warranty would have covered this after the powertrain warranty ends and would have a $100 deductible.

Reactions
UPDATE: I went in for an oil change on Thursday, and they confirmed both CV boots are leaking and must be replaced. They ordered parts for me and one is on backorder. This will be under powertrain warranty with no deductible, as I am at over 36,200 miles. My Extended Warranty would have covered this after the powertrain warranty ends and would have a $100 deductible.
My passenger front is leaking. I'm at 31k, outside of the 3 year mark on my 2020. Do you think this would be covered under the powertrain warranty as well?

Reactions
I had both mine replaced because of torn boots under the 5yr/60k powertrain

Eagle

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I just turned 36K on my 2020 ST and having my right CV boot/axle replaced tomorrow under warranty.