Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Customer Satisfaction Program 22N17 - Easy, and inexpensive, DIY.

Reactions
I’ve been putting this off for quite a while since it’s the only issue I’ve had with my ‘20 in four years of ownership. Having better things to do than take time out of my day for a trip to the dealership, I tackled it on my own in about 10 minutes for a whopping $15. Sure it shows the time for a tech to knock it out in just a few minutes as well, but a visit to any dealership is never quick. Making this a DIY project was a cinch.

For those unfamiliar, this involves the chrome peeling off the window switches, which leads to sharp edges and cuts. The old switch tips get replaced with a new version that looks to be molded in color. From Ford:

IMG_6989.jpeg

The part number for the bag of seven tips is LB5Z-14A268-AB as shown in the bulletin. A Google search of the p/n led me to a dealer right up the road in my state. The cost was about $8 with $7 added for shipping.

IMG_6990.jpeg

The tips as they arrived:

FullSizeRender.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpeg

From the bulletin, Ford states to grab them with cutting pliers and pull, but that is a real pain. All you need is a small screwdriver. Carefully push under each tip forward, and they all pop right out.
IMG_6988.jpeg
My drivers side switches before (with the sharp flakes of chrome scraped off after a couple cuts on my finger tips):

IMG_6985.jpeg

Good as new after about ten minutes of work (changed out on all four doors). A no-brainer.

IMG_6986.jpeg

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Awesome post! I had assumed they were changing out the switch modules but looks like just the tips! NICE

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Saving this thread... I'll be ordering the parts soon. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Awesome post! I had assumed they were changing out the switch modules but looks like just the tips! NICE
Just the tip... hehe.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Great write up. I just had mine done at the dealer and they told me it was a quick change out. I waited until I had another issue with the ST, which I figured would happen eventually, although I was hoping not so. Well the front left side CV axle boot split at about 68K miles.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for posting! I’d rather take care of it myself even though ford would do it for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Nice! Just ordered 7 of these for 20 bucks shipped from Fordpartsgiant.com

The peeling of the chrome is annoying and a few times, I have gotten flakes in my skin.