Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Custom Steering Wheel w/ Carbon Fiber

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Ummmm yup!! Speechless

2020 Explorer ST - Storm Trooper Build

Borla S-Type Exhaust | SPD Downpipes | Vossen HF-5 | Michelin PSS Tires | Speeda Rear Sway | Turbosmart BOV | Rear Wiper Delete | Clear Bra | Tinted Headlights | H&R Springs | Custom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel | Custom Front and Rear Emblems | UPR Catch Can | SPD T-Stat

Reactions
Been wondering about finding one with the red stripe. Seemed to be an oversight on the ST.

I’m not a big modder but even I would have one of those wheels.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Been wondering about finding one with the red stripe. Seemed to be an oversight on the ST.

I’m not a big modder but even I would have one of those wheels.
I can’t wait for it. 8 week lead time.

http://www.realcarbontastic.com/

Borla S-Type Exhaust | SPD Downpipes | Vossen HF-5 | Michelin PSS Tires | Speeda Rear Sway | Turbosmart BOV | Rear Wiper Delete | Clear Bra | Tinted Headlights | H&R Springs | Custom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel | Custom Front and Rear Emblems | UPR Catch Can | SPD T-Stat

Sch0227

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I can’t wait for it. 8 week lead time.

http://www.realcarbontastic.com/

Price on that hot rod?

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Price on that hot rod?

Reactions
What's the install process like? A pita, or realtively simple? Or would you take it to a shop/dealer?

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
What's the install process like? A pita, or realtively simple? Or would you take it to a shop/dealer?
Just need to release the airbag and remove the middle bolt with a T20 .. it wasn’t to bad

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Go fast, or look fast...hmmmm

L_Speed87

Reactions
I'm going to guess it's so expensive because, unlike many aftermarket parts, they are having to buy a stock steering wheel from Ford at full price, strip it down, and then build it back up. That isn't going to be a cheap process.

I don't particularly think it's worth it, given what $1400 could buy you otherwise (if you're on a budget). That's the price of a nice exhaust or a decent tune (plus the Whipple intercooler if you stretch the money a bit).

IF someone were to design an interior carbon fiber kit to go with it where you could replace some of the plastics with CF, then it might start making some sense as that wheel would be out of place in a stock interior. (IMO)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
“If you’re on a budget” says it all...some people aren’t and that’s all that matters.

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sorry, but IMO that's really not very good looking at all. I could possibly see replacing the black trim that surrounds the switches in the center with something that matches the carbon fiber trim on the dash. But this, nope.

Ken

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
To each their own... I LOVE it. When you are spending that kind of coin though--custom is the name of the game. Piano black instead of carbon? sure. alcantara instead of leather? sure. The killer detail for me is the shape... its PERFECT.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Everyone has a right to their opinion, I suppose. I completely disagree with it tho.

Budget? When it comes to quality I don’t have one. Trim pieces are in the works BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions
I love the way it looks, and would buy it in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

L_Speed87

Reactions
“If you’re on a budget” says it all...some people aren’t and that’s all that matters.
Then i expect to see this in your build thread at some point!

I will say they definitely got the paddle shifters right. The extensions that i've seen others (including Unbroken) add are much better than the crappy little things that Ford recycled from other builds. I just got my ST, so Exhaust/Intercooler/UPR/Tune would all come before this. Probably springs and anti-sway bar as well. I'm looking forward to someone buying this and installing it and posting it on here so we can see it along with the rest of the interior. Maybe i'll be wrong about it being out of place.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #18
It flows nicely with the interior and sport mode on the dash.

L_Speed87

Reactions
I hadn't looked at that bulld thread yet. You're right. I retract my previous statement. It fits with the interior better than I thought and looks pretty damn good.

Is the cover to keep it cool? Never had a CF steering wheel before. I know that every wooden one I've had, while enjoyable, became blisteringly hot in direct sunlight.

Blackssr

Reactions
To each their own... I LOVE it. When you are spending that kind of coin though--custom is the name of the game. Piano black instead of carbon? sure. alcantara instead of leather? sure. The killer detail for me is the shape... its PERFECT.
I agree it's pretty awesome...