Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Current mods on my ST

Reactions
The latest addition is a 93R tune incorporating multiple mods - a Whipple intercooler, a Borla S exhaust system, and a K&N drop in filter. No dyno verification yet, but estimated by the shop to be around 510-520 crank HP. Considering a XDI HPFP35 fuel pump, but not sure of going E50. The full retail price of the Whipple intercooler has gone up $100 since I purchased mine, but it's definitely worth the price. The Borla ATAK system produced a very loud aggressive sound, even at idle, on another ST, so I went with the S system. After hearing mine, he prefers it to his. Slight drone at cold start, but smooths out quickly, and talks to you when accelerating.

Reactions
The latest addition is a 93R tune incorporating multiple mods - a Whipple intercooler, a Borla S exhaust system, and a K&N drop in filter. No dyno verification yet, but estimated by the shop to be around 510-520 crank HP. Considering a XDI HPFP35 fuel pump, but not sure of going E50. The full retail price of the Whipple intercooler has gone up $100 since I purchased mine, but it's definitely worth the price. The Borla ATAK system produced a very loud aggressive sound, even at idle, on another ST, so I went with the S system. After hearing mine, he prefers it to his. Slight drone at cold start, but smooths out quickly, and talks to you when accelerating.
Close to what I'm having done. Just waiting on the Borla exhaust as they are way backed up. Intercooler shipped today. I received the JLT catch can Tuesday. I have the 5star 93 tune which seems to be working great. That's awesome about the HP. Can't wait to get on a Dyno.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m ordering the IC next week along with a UPR catch can. For exhaust I’m waiting on an estimate from Kinney’s Muffler for a full 3” mandrel bent stainless system with a Magnaflow Tru-X muffler and Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators into dual 4” tips. If that’s comparable to the off-the-shelf systems out there or coming up I’ll probably just go custom to have something different. I won’t tune until it hits 5K...gotta be realistic that these things dint have the greatest track record. lol

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I’m ordering the IC next week along with a UPR catch can. For exhaust I’m waiting on an estimate from Kinney’s Muffler for a full 3” mandrel bent stainless system with a Magnaflow Tru-X muffler and Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators into dual 4” tips. If that’s comparable to the off-the-shelf systems out there or coming up I’ll probably just go custom to have something different. I won’t tune until it hits 5K...gotta be realistic that these things dint have the greatest track record. lol
Do some research on the effect of over-sized exhaust piping and I believe that you'll reconsider the 3 inch system. Performance gains can be lost from exhaust turbulence. A 2 and 1/4, or 2 and 1/2 inch system could prove more beneficial. I considered Kinney's and having a custom installation, but I evaluated the cost effectiveness of a six hour drive round trip, the mileage on the ST, and the cost of the system. The estimate provided by Kinney's exceeded $1600 (with tax) for a stainless steel cat-back install. Mandrell bends are nearly universally employed by aftermarket manufacturers in constructing their performance exhaust systems, eliminating the pipe crimps seen on past systems. Trust me, Borla was not the only source that I investigated for an exhaust system.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m more than aware of how it works....especially with turbo vehicles. 3” would be just fine on one of these things and has already been proven so by others. I’ve ran up to 5” exhaust on turbo vehicles and picked up quite a bit of power across the board. I only hit of Kinney’s because they are one of the few shops with a mandrel bender...as I get older I find myself too lazy to build my own systems anymore from raw bends. lol
I don’t like either of the Borla systems. The upcoming Corsa sounds a little better but I do t love it...kinda waiting to see what Magnaflow drops as well since they have something coming too.
Considering I had over $4K in the exhaust on my blown 2016 F150 $1600 doesn’t sound too bad. lol

Last edited:

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Nice. What is the R for in 93R tune? Also, how much HP does a whipple add?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The Whipple IC doesn’t add any power at all. It cools the IAT’s off so the engine can make more of the power it’s already capable of making. I’ve seen reports of IAT’s approaching 180-200* on hard runs with the stock IC and 50*+ lower with the Whipple.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I believe he is referring to a 93octane "race" tune from Bama Performance or Palm Beach Dyno.

What I can't fathom is how he is getting 110hp out of a 93 octane tune... if true then these motors are seriously "de-tuned" from the factory and Ford made a big mistake not making them 450hp right out of the gate.

Nice. What is the R for in 93R tune? Also, how much HP does a whipple add?

Last edited:
Reactions
I got the JLT catch can in. It seems to be a solid product. Great service and quick turn around.

Attachments

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I believe he is referring to a 93octane "race" tune from Bama Performance or Palm Beach Dyno.

What I can't fathom is how he is getting 110hp out of a 93 octane tune...
Thanks. That’s what I was thinking which is why I asked about the whipple. I thought the 93 tune only added about 50 hp.