Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Crankcase breather

BlackBetty

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST Agate black
Anyone reccomending/ using a crankcase breather?

Anyone using one and having oil leak/ pooling on the engine?

I have the UPR Crankcase breather and I am experiencing stand/ pooling oil. Is this expected or normal? I have double checked the fastener between the valve and the filter. It does not seem to be the source of the oil but the filter stays very saturated. New to forced induction engines and only have about 2k miles on my 22 ST. Thanks for any help or advice.

Attachments

Reactions
I doubt you'll find anyone with an open element crankcase breather. There's a reason everyone uses a catchcan setup.

Reactions
Can you let us know why you’re running one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
You just found out the hard way that open element breathers have no place on modern engines. Not only will it spit oil all over the place, if it's close to the HVAC fresh air inlet, you can get smells into the interior (and they aren't pleasant)

PCV offers many benefits to our engines, with the only downside being oil into the intake, and that can be countered with a proper closed-loop catch can (Mishimoto, JLT, UPR, etc)

OP
BlackBetty

BlackBetty

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST Agate black
Thread Starter #5

Theoreticle alternative to a catch can and ignorance I suppose.

Theoretical cheap alternative to a catch can and ignorance I suppose. Looks like its the catch can route at this point.