Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cracked Windshield

Reactions
My ST just took a hit from a little road missile pebble from a truck that put a crack in the bottom center of the windshield. So I will be working on getting it replaced. I have an extended warranty and will see if that or my auto insurance covers the replacement. I am sure that these special technical glass pieces are not cheap. I have had the ST since the first of the year and onjly have 33800 miles.
Any input of dealing with the situation would be helpful as first windshield replacement in 55 years of driving. Yeah, I know, amazing, right?

Thanks.

Reactions
Your insurance company will replace it. Mine is zero deductible on glass.

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Your insurance company will replace it. Mine is zero deductible on glass.
on glass replacement, or glass repair?

I have zero deductible repair, but if it needs replaced I'm out my deductible.

Reactions
My missle was more like a golf ball size rock. Lucked out as it just missed the wiper blade. Could have been way worse. Insurance covered it but they had to come out and try and fix it first. It was unrepairable, I also made sure that it was an OEM part, Matched the numbers up myself. Used Safelite. Guy was super. $385.65 for glass. $366.00 for field labor. He had to take it out on a test drive to calibrate the camera. No problem with me coming along. no leaks no noise. Happy camper.

Reactions
I agree with @1big6fan, make sure you go with OEM and not PFG or Safelite's brand.

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses. the glass will need to be ordered and shipped with a wait of a month or so to get it. I need to make it sure that the installer is familiar with the current "smart" windshield install.

Reactions
I have to replace my windshield too, same reason. Pebble hit. Safelite was out on Friday and patched it, and I thought they did a good job. But took the car out today, and it sat in the parking lot in the sun, about 85 degrees. Got in the car, and a long crack appeared. So now it's replacement. I was planning to use Safelite to replace, and will order OEM glass. Do I need to make sure the installer is familiar with "smart" windshields, and do I need to request a camera aim? Anything else I need to worry about? I had the glass replaced on my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and was never happy with it. Had increased wind noise. Did not specify OEM glass back then, thought that was automatic. Any suggestions are welcome!

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
As noted above, my 2020 Explorer ST windshield took a pebble hit and had a small crack that expanded daily. I have never seen a repair that lasted and went for full replacement with Safelite. Excellent service. I checked beforehand and it was fully covered by my auto insurance. Set up an appointment and job was done in less than 90 minutes.

Reactions
Thanks 66gt. Any issues with the installer being familiar with the "smart" windshield install, or camera aiming that someone else mentioned earlier in the thread? How's your wind noise? Sounds like it's the same as before the replacement, since you are happy and have no complaints. Thanks!

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Installer very familiar with setting the smart windshield. He had to drive the car around the block to set it. He explained everything and answered all questions about warranty and what to do for the first few hours while adhesive was setting, such as not to slam the doors with windows all up. Be sure that they have the window in stock when you make the appointment. It took about a week to get mine.

Reactions
Thanks. Last question; did you take yours to their shop, or did he come to see you with the glass? Thanks SO much for your responses!

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Had it done at the shop. They would not due smart glass installs at house. They need to calibrate it.

Reactions
Thanks again. I have an email in to Safelite to get it scheduled.

Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
I realize this is an old thread, but I have to have the windshield replaced on my 21 ST. When you guys had yours replaced, did the oem replacement have the tinted strip at the top on the oem replacement? All the ST's I've seen have this. Is this oem or a dealer add on

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
How many old threads are you going to revive to ask your question????? I’ve seen 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk