Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Considering ZFG Racing Tune

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
i know is a 1000 post regarding tune but because is a personal preference is the reason i am asking. I just want to know if is a day and night diference for the the xtra $$$$ XFG charge???
Yes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
i know is a 1000 post regarding tune but because is a personal preference is the reason i am asking. I just want to know if is a day and night diference for the the xtra $$$$ XFG charge???
I don't have one and maybe you don't want to read specifics that are mentioned in posts with actual data that will answer your question but people do say big difference.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Yes, it’s a day and night difference both in power and shifting. 5 Star sucks…period. Buy the best or cry like the rest…your choice.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
If your starting from scratch just go ZFG.

I had an X4 that I used to tune my 2 previous Explorer Sports. I was going to go ZFG but decided to try out Gearhead Tuning and use my old X4. For less than $200 you can best believe ZFG to me isn't worth an extra $700 as I'm broke lol. If the difference is only a couple hundred dollars I'd say go ZFG unless it's as big of a different as it was for me.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
That is why I started with a 5 star tune. I already had an X4. In the end, the 5 star tune wasn't that great, at the time I thought it was good as this was my first tuned vehicle that had factory boost. I thought the 40 hp or so was great until I tried ZFG, I'll never go back. I already had an HP tuning device so the switch to ZFG only cost me $650 (450 for the tune and 200 in credits).

Like Boss240 said, if you're starting from scratch, just go ZFG. A tune, credits and device will run you about ~1K from ZFG, a tune and device from 5 star will run a minimum of $700, your money, you decide.

For comparison, my best dragy time with the 5 star and the whipple I/C was a 12.72@109.50, my best with ZFG--12.09@112.30

Reactions
Gearhead auto octane tune shifts and drives amazing. In mineshaft air mine went 12.05 in the dragy 1/4, little bit of ethanol added in it went 11.9.

If you have ethanol available to you, I would recommend the ZFG e50 tune. It is just insane.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Gearhead auto octane tune shifts and drives amazing. In mineshaft air mine went 12.05 in the dragy 1/4, little bit of ethanol added in it went 11.9.

If you have ethanol available to you, I would recommend the ZFG e50 tune. It is just insane.
I had an E50 tune on my 2015 Edge Sport and that thing would hurt some feelings lol. It was a little ridiculous how fast that thing was... for an Edge anyways

kezell17

Reactions
Vehicle
22 ST
It is a huge night and day difference from stock to ZFG 93.

Reactions

Just about to load up Matt’s tune today. Worked out perfect since I bought the intercooler/X4 combo from Steeda, and even the canned 93 tune made quite the difference. Adding a custom tune now is a no-brainer, especially since I wanted to check out some of the transmission tweaks.

Reactions
Just about to load up Matt’s tune today. Worked out perfect since I bought the intercooler/X4 combo from Steeda, and even the canned 93 tune made quite the difference. Adding a custom tune now is a no-brainer, especially since I wanted to check out some of the transmission tweaks.
Before I did intercooler intake and spark plugs the best I did was 12.5, but it's definitely a huge difference over stock. It'll put a smile on your face.

1slow20

Reactions
Vehicle
That is why I started with a 5 star tune. I already had an X4. In the end, the 5 star tune wasn't that great, at the time I thought it was good as this was my first tuned vehicle that had factory boost. I thought the 40 hp or so was great until I tried ZFG, I'll never go back. I already had an HP tuning device so the switch to ZFG only cost me $650 (450 for the tune and 200 in credits).

Like Boss240 said, if you're starting from scratch, just go ZFG. A tune, credits and device will run you about ~1K from ZFG, a tune and device from 5 star will run a minimum of $700, your money, you decide.

For comparison, my best dragy time with the 5 star and the whipple I/C was a 12.72@109.50, my best with ZFG--12.09@112.30
what fuel are you tuned for? I am looking for a 93 tune. it’s the wifes daily driver, and looking for a good reliable 93 tune to make power, and not give her any issues.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
93 from both 5* and ZFG, but I did make the 12.09 run on E30. I found out from Adam @ZFG that the ST will run E30 from the factory and he tweaks his tunes accordingly to take advantage of it. I also have a whipple I/C

On just 93 my best with the ZFG tune was a 12.26

Cruiser133

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
And don't forget, Adam will adjust your tune in the future. His service after purchase is amazing.