Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Considering Trading My F150 For An ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The ST is my wife's, we traded her 2020 Santa Fe Limit 2.0T AWD for it back in December of 2022. She has been enjoying it and on the few occasions I drive it, It's very comfortable and fun to drive. I drove it from IL to TX and back with no stops and I had no complaints! I guess I didn't realize how fun it is to drive until we went on the ST Suv Experience last week. Afterward, I joked that I was jealous and wished it had been mine. My wife wasn't against the idea, but, obviously financially it would not be a wise idea (we have the money to do it though). I currently have a 2019 Ford F150 STX with 30k miles, in great condition. I was dumb (now lucky) to go buy a truck during the initial covid lockdowns when everyone was worried about losing their jobs, dealers were ghost towns and they were desperate for sales, more so on a leftover F150. The truck is worth about as much as I paid for it back in 2020 and it is paid off, so that is a bonus.

Does anyone here own two ST's or traded their F150 for an ST and regret it?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Didn’t trade an F150 but I did trade in a 2017 Sierra 2500HD Denali for my ST last year. Got crazy money for my truck.

Anyhow, overall I prefer driving the ST. At times I regret not having a truck and the ST is definitely smaller but the driving experience of the ST is better. As far as interior quality, the Denali had a better more luxurious interior. I came from 20+ years of full sized trucks and SUVs to the Explorer so it felt a bit small initially but the handling fun made up for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Carbonized Gray Explorer ST
I had my '13 Explorer Sport for 10 years and used it like a truck. I thought about replacing it with an F150 but with the super short beds on trucks these days I think the explorer actually has better utility that the pickup. I have a 12' utility trailer that I use a lot for towing things too big or too dirty to load into the explorer. So, I traded my Sport for an ST. If you regularly tow a large trailer than a truck makes sense but the ST pulls the utility trailer or my boat just fine.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I had my '13 Explorer Sport for 10 years and used it like a truck. I thought about replacing it with an F150 but with the super short beds on trucks these days I think the explorer actually has better utility that the pickup. I have a 12' utility trailer that I use a lot for towing things too big or too dirty to load into the explorer. So, I traded my Sport for an ST. If you regularly tow a large trailer than a truck makes sense but the ST pulls the utility trailer or my boat just fine.
Same here, kinda. My Hemi Ram was just sitting, not being used as much as in the past. I traded my '19 Escape and the Ram on my ST. It pulls my trailer and gets better fuel economy. I sometimes miss the Ram (I loved that truck - had it 13 years).

OP
E
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Well, found a dealer with a low mile 2020 ST and traded in the truck. Got it tinted today and very happy with it! It was a lease with only 16k miles. It has equipment group 400, but, it seems to have everything my wife’s 401A has, minus the sunroof. I have leather, big screen, park assist, pilot 360+, street pack. I do love the massage seats!

Attachments

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
That's a nice find.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Well, found a dealer with a low mile 2020 ST and traded in the truck. Got it tinted today and very happy with it! It was a lease with only 16k miles. It has equipment group 400, but, it seems to have everything my wife’s 401A has, minus the sunroof. I have leather, big screen, park assist, pilot 360+, street pack. I do love the massage seats!
Welcome to the forum

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Interesting - mine had 15,500 when I bought it. Dealer demo out of Tampa. Except for the quirky backup assist/camera, it's been a great car. I've pulled my trailer over 200 miles recently. The Ram would have gotten abysmal mileage and not done the greatest job. The ST is at about 18 mpg and deals with the trailer just fine.

OP
E
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
She's been a blast so far and yesterday I had to drive 6 hours and the massage seats were a nice touch! I will eventually have to take it back to the dealer for them to swap the window switch tips and for them to look at my Lane Keep, when I press it, it doesn't do anything. Seen a few posts here from 2020 where some had the issue and the button needed to be replaced. Back up camera also sometimes blue screens, but it will start working again. I was already well aware of that issue though. Luckily on my wife's 2022 ST, no issues with her backup (knock on wood).

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
She's been a blast so far and yesterday I had to drive 6 hours and the massage seats were a nice touch! I will eventually have to take it back to the dealer for them to swap the window switch tips and for them to look at my Lane Keep, when I press it, it doesn't do anything. Seen a few posts here from 2020 where some had the issue and the button needed to be replaced. Back up camera also sometimes blue screens, but it will start working again. I was already well aware of that issue though. Luckily on my wife's 2022 ST, no issues with her backup (knock on wood).
Lane keeping is something enabled. Look in the Synch panel, "driver assist", I think. It may be off in there.

Taxgod4u

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Exploder-ST
Just bought a '23 F150 tremor 3.5 and the '23 exp. ST in March. Both nice rides!

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I just received a letter from Ford today informing me that they will replace the 7 window switches under warranty for up to 10 years/150K miles. I may have one that needs replacing on my 2020.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I got that letter, too. Knock on plastic, but mine are faring well. Perhaps it's the way folks use the switch? My Mom pressed the buttons with a fingernail. Over time, you couldn't see the markings.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I just received a letter from Ford today informing me that they will replace the 7 window switches under warranty for up to 10 years/150K miles. I may have one that needs replacing on my 2020.
If you have one that is bad, they will replace all the switches from and rear.

OP
E
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
Picked up my ST yesterday from the dealer. They gave me a loaner on Monday morning, it was a 23' F150 XLT Sport. Man, the screen on that thing is HUGE. My wife asked me if I missed the truck, after having the ST for a week and putting 700 miles on it (took a 414-mile road trip the following day). Safe to say, I did not miss the truck. Granted, mine was a 2019 STX, the 2023 rode and felt about the same.

The dealer replaced all of the window switch chrome tips, checked the exhaust for some previous recall, and replaced the buttons on the steering wheel for lane keep.