Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Confused on packages

skipdup

Reactions
Hello. 1st post! :)

Test drove a '21 ST today. Loved it! Car had Package 401A, twin panel moonroof, & Premium Tech Package. MSRP $57,660

I'm probably being dense. But, other than Street Pack (which I really wanted) or High-Performance Pack, I'm having a hard time determining what other options this particular one doesn't have. Can anyone help? Am I missing anything important?

Thanks,
Skip

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The most common are probably the Street Pack, tech and pano roof. High performance pack is just different brake pads added to the street pack. At any rate...I wouldn’t but one without the Street Pack. You get the 21” wheels and upsized brakes on both ends for a very small amount of money. If you don’t like the 21’s flip them for a couple grand and get what you like and still have the bigger brakes.

OP
S

skipdup

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Unbroken. That's what I thought, but wasn't positive. I'll wait, unless they really make some crazy deal (doubtful).

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I also really wanted the Street Pack with the pano roof, but having the Tech Package was not a requirement. In November 2020 started looking at leftover 2020's and located what I thought the local dealer would agree to on pricing. An ST with Street Pack and pano but no Tech. Not so, had to walk away. Another dealer I had spoken to called me again and offered me an ST without the Street Pack, but with the pano roof and Tech Package(same sticker prices), for $3K less than other ST. I told them I would be there the next day to pick it up. I love it none the less and the wife loves it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I'm not going to question Unbroken. He's forgotten more about STs than I'll ever know. That being said...

I test drove 2 STs extensively. Back to back. One with the Street Pack, one without. I found the brakes on the Street Pack to be a bit aggressive. As was the ride quality with the 21" wheels. Both observations should be expected. Certainly not a complaint.

My ST is my daily driver. I opted for an ST with the 20" package. I have no complaints about the standard ST brakes or wheels. The Platinum and ST trim levels get an upgraded brake package by default.

I suppose it depends on what kind of expectations you have and what kind of driving you do.

Reactions
Looks alone I'd get the street pack. Unless you plan on swapping wheels for aftermarket, the other ones (no offense to anyone with them) make the car look rather boring and common.

OP
S

skipdup

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
More really interesting takes on this. Really appreciate it!
Truth is, boring & common are kind of appealing to me. And I'm of the opinion you simply can not drive fast on public roads - I need a track to get me heart pumping. :)

Hmmm. Woke up this AM feeling secure I would wait. Now I'm not so sure...

I am worried about paying too much. Seems like the big incentives I've seen a lot of people getting in the past aren't available now. That and chip shortage and I'm betting a good deal will be elusive.

Thanks all!!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The Platinum and ST trim levels get an upgraded brake package by default.
I’ve never looked at a Platinum but the ST only gets an upgraded brake package if you select the Street Pack, otherwise it comes standard with the base model brakes everything else gets.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Here are the quoted words from the Ford web site:

As the backbone of the ST and Platinum powertrains, the available 3.0L EcoBoost® takes the athletic feel of the Explorer a step further. The Platinum powertrain generates a projected 365 horsepower plus 380 lb.-ft. of torque.* The ST, however, combines this muscular engine with twin turbos for 400hp plus 415 lb.-ft of torque.
*Horsepower and torque ratings based on premium fuel per SAE J1349® standard. Your results may vary

The extra power for the ST looks like tuning only. The turbos are the same part # for both. For the F150, the Raptor has different turbos from the non-Raptor versions.

Platinum = "High Series Brakes are standard on the Platinum and Limited 3.3L Hybrid engine only."

ST = High Performance Package includes:
• 21" Aluminum Wheels
• High-Performance Brakes
(This means different pads vs the "performance" pads. These pads make the ST stop REALLY good, but are a bit sensitive when you first touch the brake pedal)
• Red Painted Brake Calipers

ST = Street Pack includes:
• 21" Aluminum Wheels
• Performance Brakes
• Red Painted Brake Calipers

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I could certainly be wrong, but for 2021 I believe I saw a comparison of the brake packages for the different models. I do see the Platinum and Hybrid quote above. But I was under the impression the ST also shares the slightly upgraded High Series system over the lower trim models. Perhaps due to the tow package and increased towing capacity. I'll see if I can find documentation to support my claim.

And I agree that the 20" wheels look a understated, if not a little plain. Something to be said for a sleeper. ;)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I could certainly be wrong, but for 2021 I believe I saw a comparison of the brake packages for the different models. I do see the Platinum and Hybrid quote above. But I was under the impression the ST also shares the slightly upgraded High Series system over the lower trim models. Perhaps due to the tow package and increased towing capacity. I'll see if I can find documentation to support my claim.

And I agree that the 20" wheels look a understated, if not a little plain. Something to be said for a sleeper. ;)
Non Street Pack ST’s have the smaller brakes across the 20 and 21 year models.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Fair enough, Unbroken. Thank you for the clarification. (y)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
This is one of the docs I remember reading. The 2021 Ford Tech Specs. The Brakes section could be a little more clear. You can understand my confusion.

2021 Explorer Tech Specs - Ford Media Center

Screenshot_20210525-193317_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
This is one of the docs I remember reading. The 2021 Ford Tech Specs. The Brakes section could be a little more clear. You can understand my confusion.

2021 Explorer Tech Specs - Ford Media Center

View attachment 5958
So they use better calipers on the higher models already, with the street (performance) pack you are getting larger front rotors, rear ventilated rotors (others are solid) and red calipers along with the 21" rims. To me it was well worth it (until I have to replace the 21" tires lol)

OP
S

skipdup

Reactions
Thread Starter #15
I found the same car but with the Street Pack up in Austin. Talked to dealer. Not willing to negotiate at all - which I feared might be the case. No way I can see myself paying MSRP. Might not be able to join the club for a while. Bummed :(

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm just not sure what you're unsure about? If you order the Street Pack you get upgraded brakes from the other models. If you order the Performance Pack you get the Street Pack brakes with upgraded pads. They are notable because they are painted red, and also include the 21" wheel package.

iexplore

Reactions
Hello. 1st post! :)

Test drove a '21 ST today. Loved it! Car had Package 401A, twin panel moonroof, & Premium Tech Package. MSRP $57,660

I'm probably being dense. But, other than Street Pack (which I really wanted) or High-Performance Pack, I'm having a hard time determining what other options this particular one doesn't have. Can anyone help? Am I missing anything important?

Thanks,
Skip
I thought I was the only one confused with the packages - in particular the 400A vs 401A. According to the Ford Build & Price website, it makes it look like the Street Pack is included in 401A. However my windows sticker shows 401A but has the standard 20" wheels and brake pads.

OP
S

skipdup

Reactions
Thread Starter #18
I thought I was the only one confused with the packages - in particular the 400A vs 401A. According to the Ford Build & Price website, it makes it look like the Street Pack is included in 401A. However my windows sticker shows 401A but has the standard 20" wheels and brake pads.
Right?! The Ford site is just wrong, I guess.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The Ford site I looked at today is correct. There are no brake upgrades with either the 400A 0r 401A "packages" for the ST. The HP pack and Street Pack are plainly listed as additional cost options of $1595 and $995 respectively.

Reactions
The Ford site I looked at today is correct. There are no brake upgrades with either the 400A 0r 401A "packages" for the ST. The HP pack and Street Pack are plainly listed as additional cost options of $1595 and $995 respectively.
Yes. And the only difference between the $1595 and $995 are the brake pads themselves. I had both options.