Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cold Start Blue (burning oil smell) Exhaust

Yort3000

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have started to notice upon a cold start that there is a moderate volume of blue exhaust that comes out. It smells like some oil is being burnt somewhere. This initial exhaust is only temporary.
I have seen older posts with the same issue but did not see if Ford resolved it or what the most common culprit of this is. Does anybody know what the issue is and how to go about getting it repaired?
I want to go into the dealer armed with some knowledge so they can’t just dismiss me and say “iT’s nOrmAL”

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's possible that it's only a bit of residual oil/moisture in the exhaust. However, if it happens very quickly after starting and then dissipates, you have to look at the heat source, and the fastest heat source is the turbine. That would tend to point one in the direction of the turbine bearing seal which has been identified as a problem in the past.

If you have a lot of miles, or have a spotty record in changing the oil, the other culprit could be a valve guide.

OP
Y

Yort3000

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
It’s a ‘22 with only 17,000 km or 10,500 miles. I also change the oil every 5000km (3000miles). I’ve been checking the oil often and it stays fairly consistent.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I too have noticing the same thing. I have a 2022 with 15k miles. Only happens on a cold start. Smoke come out about 5sec after start up and last about 3 secs