Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cold Air Intake

Skeyler

Reactions
Hi Guys, I searched the forum and didn't find anything... Is there any Information out there about cold air intakes or K&N Filters? Any idea on performance enhancements? Thanks.

OP
Skeyler

Skeyler

Reactions
Thread Starter #2
I just spoke with K&N in CA. They have a call out on their social media looking for vehicles to test on. If you live there, you may be able to get a system for free if you loan them your vehicle. At this time, they do not have a cold air intake system available, but they do plan one. They said to check back often on their website. I hope this helps.

Reactions
So far I haven't seen anyone produced a CAI yet.

Reactions
I live in California, but my wife loves her ST too much to be without it for that significant of a time just to get a free intake lol.

Reactions
So the vehicle doesn’t need a cold air kit to help it, it needs fuel before it needs more air. I’m having mine tuned and it doesn’t need air he said.

Reactions
I do have a regular k&n air filter. I believe it was either the Lincoln model or from a 2019. I’d have to look up my amazon history if you need the part number.

Reactions
which company do you think will design a cold air intake first? can you imagine how much money they’d make overnight?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Word is K&N is doing final fitment on one and S&B rumors are floating around as well.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
Word is K&N is doing final fitment on one and S&B rumors are floating around as well.
Nice, sounds promising... Patience is a virtue

Reactions
Someday there will be a readily available CAI. That day..... is not today. :/

Reactions
Still nothing on this? I figured JLT or KN would have something by now

Reactions
They just don’t make a difference, dropin a kN or AE and her same results

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The oem set-up really isn’t bad. The inlet is huge and in a high pressure zone behind the grill and is sealed to it. I’m not the biggest fan of panel filters but I’m really not a fan of conical/open filters behind the radiator stack.
There’s likely some room for improvement in the airbox...maybe something sealed with a pair of big conical filters and the tubing could be made larger. Just not sure how many company’s wanna spend the money for such a small market.

Reactions
The oem set-up really isn’t bad. The inlet is huge and in a high pressure zone behind the grill and is sealed to it. I’m not the biggest fan of panel filters but I’m really not a fan of conical/open filters behind the radiator stack.
There’s likely some room for improvement in the airbox...maybe something sealed with a pair of big conical filters and the tubing could be made larger. Just not sure how many company’s wanna spend the money for such a small market.
Hmm. Just looking at the intake, I would be shocked if there isn’t 15-20 horse available from that stock set up. It’s tiny, typical mass production ford set up.

Wether or not K&N or JLT want to invest time/money for R&D.... that’s another question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If someone made a larger sealed box and upsized all the tubing and crammed the biggest conical filters they could in there...there’s a gain to be had. We’re just such a small market their ROI probably isn’t there.