Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Coilovers anyone ?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I would be interested to know the info on those also . I know the coilover parts for these are pretty intricate as there are a few different Ford parts needed than a standard coilover . I was originally looking at customizing some F150 coilovers until we saw what is under our STs .
I’m trying to get info but all he said is Penske. Dunno why people have to be all secretive.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
I’m trying to get info but all he said is Penske. Dunno why people have to be all secretive.
Maybe they used his vehicle to customize some . My guess is they are not mass producing them .

Reactions
But a 1.5" drop for let's say $2000 minimum when you can just get springs for a couple hundred....not sure I would go that route . Yes , I know that coilovers would provide a different outcome that just springs but how many people out there are building a track focused Explorer . Mine's just sitting on H&Rs right now and it handles fantastic through the turns . Let's see what the outcome is for the coilovers I mentioned but it is good to see other options also .
Ive got a set of H&R springs sitting in my garage that I dont think I am going to install. I dont think im sold on the Steeda's either. Until a strut is released that can deal with the 1.25-1.75" of lowering and not lose travel/hit the bump stops, I think I am going to leave my factory suspension alone save for the Steeda sway bar I already installed.

Ive also never been able to garner what the various spring rates are as it seems nobody wants to publish that information. I come from the Corvette and Miata world where everybody publishes their spring rates.

I'm in the process of buying a boat and will be using my ST to tow it, so maybe I have some different demands on a suspension.

Reactions
But a 1.5" drop for let's say $2000 minimum when you can just get springs for a couple hundred....not sure I would go that route . Yes , I know that coilovers would provide a different outcome that just springs but how many people out there are building a track focused Explorer . Mine's just sitting on H&Rs right now and it handles fantastic through the turns . Let's see what the outcome is for the coilovers I mentioned but it is good to see other options also .
Yeah, not sure I'd "spring" for a coilover kit or not. I also have H&Rs and Steeda RSB and strut tower brace. Handles exceptional for my needs, but I am sure others have a different idea for their ST. Either way, can't wait to see the continuing and growing product lines for our platform.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I don’t think I’ve ever bottomed out with H&R’s installed…and Airlift has a inner spring bag kit out now that could help with lowering and towing.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
I don’t think I’ve ever bottomed out with H&R’s installed…and Airlift has a inner spring bag kit out now that could help with lowering and towing.
Me either . Let's see how these coilovers come out and see what kind of drop it will take to rub or bottom out .

Reactions
Honestly... I'll wait for a good Strut. I live local to BC Racing and still have an IN to go there and Drop the ST off for R&D on Custom Coilovers.. however, they want the ST for minimum for 2 mos and I just can't justify that. With the H&R and RSB and a good strut, we'll be set. I've never bottomed out on my current setup.

Reactions
I think it was @pelotonracer2 that said he had bottomed out into the bump stops a few times on the H&R's in his post comparing the H&R's to the Steeda's... It might have been somebody else though.

Im just not sure I want to lower 1.5-1.75" on the H&R's then load up the boat and be sitting on the bump stops. Ill check out the Airlift setup and see what it looks like. Im not opposed to trying a few things, but I know for sure I dont want to lower the car and sacrifice a bunch of other stuff.

Reactions
I think it was @pelotonracer2 that said he had bottomed out into the bump stops a few times on the H&R's in his post comparing the H&R's to the Steeda's... It might have been somebody else though.

Im just not sure I want to lower 1.5-1.75" on the H&R's then load up the boat and be sitting on the bump stops. Ill check out the Airlift setup and see what it looks like. Im not opposed to trying a few things, but I know for sure I dont want to lower the car and sacrifice a bunch of other stuff.
I'm on H&R with 22x10.5 and TOW all the time and I have never touched a Bump Stop. I have even towed OVER max and never hit once. Possible that person wasn't too familiar with towing, honestly? Don't read into it too much. Slap em on and have a nice ride.

Reactions
I'm on H&R with 22x10.5 and TOW all the time and I have never touched a Bump Stop. I have even towed OVER max and never hit once. Possible that person wasn't too familiar with towing, honestly? Don't read into it too much. Slap em on and have a nice ride.
who wasnt too familiar with towing?

Reactions
Whomever is saying they're bottoming out when towing.
You didnt read my post correctly and I am sure you didnt go search for his post. Its a pretty long post talking about the pro's and con's of both springs. He's probably one of the only people on this board with extensive experience on both.

He has hit the bump stops under normal conditions, NOT while towing. I dont even know if he has ever towed anything.

Reactions
You didnt read my post correctly and I am sure you didnt go search for his post. Its a pretty long post talking about the pro's and con's of both springs. He's probably one of the only people on this board with extensive experience on both.

He has hit the bump stops under normal conditions, NOT while towing. I dont even know if he has ever towed anything.
Then he/she needs to stop driving into craters bigger than the vehicle. Clearly facetious here on driving in craters but I have had both H&R and Steeda on my vehicle and have NEVER had any issues. I tow all the time, we drive it daily, we take it to the track and run it and nothing. Oh well, bummer for that person bottoming out on straight roads with super extensive knowledge on how to bottom out.

Reactions
I've already got one vehicle that I rebuild my coil carriers and bypass shocks on annually, adding another to the rebuild rotation doesn't sound appealing.

Reactions
I've never towed with either springs. When I said the H&R springs bottom out, it's only the rears when going over ROAD HUMPS. This can be alleviated by slowing down to 10-12 mph, but I could go over them with the Steeda springs at 20 mph with no issues. I can go over the road humps in my Corvette at 20 mph and there are no issues and that's the stated speed limit in the road hump section.

I'm still running the H&Rs. As far as towing there would be several factors that would effect putting a strain on the rear suspension including gross weight, tongue weight ect. I could see a potential for a problem if weight distribution or tongue weight wasn't correct.

Reactions

The H&R springs are fine. I'm still running them. The bottoming out is from going over road humps at the stated speed limit which is 20 mph. Completely fine with the Steeda springs, I just have to slow down with the H&Rs. Not really a big deal.

I think overall handling and high speed control is better with the Steeda springs and sway bar combo with the sway bar set in middle position, v.s. the H&Rs with same sway bar setup.

Reactions
The H&R springs are fine. I'm still running them. The bottoming out is from going over road humps at the stated speed limit which is 20 mph. Completely fine with the Steeda springs, I just have to slow down with the H&Rs. Not really a big deal.

I think overall handling and high speed control is better with the Steeda springs and sway bar combo with the sway bar set in middle position, v.s. the H&Rs with same sway bar setup.
Now THIS.. Is Plausible. Good write up.

Reactions
I can go over the road humps in my Corvette at 20 mph and there are no issues and that's the stated speed limit in the road hump section.
Just because the speed limit is 20 mph in a section of road that has speed humps, doesn’t mean they intended for everyone to do the speed limit. Speed humps are usually there to make you slow down below the speed limit. I learned this from my wife who thought she was supposed to do the speed limit over speed humps in her 2015 Ford Explorer. One rack and pinion later and some cash helped me learn a lesson. For some reason, she still thinks she’s a character in the Mario Kart game and she’s in 1st Place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Anything new on this discussion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk