Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Clicking noise when put into reverse

Cruiser133

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Guys,

Every time I put my ST in reverse I hear an audible clicking noise that appears to be coming from the rear of the vehicle or transmission. I had the vehicle in about a week ago for the rear end recall where allegedly they inspected the faulty bolt area so I am at a loss for what it could be. Do any of you have any similar issues? Could it be the ECU disengaging the parking brake? Rarely I can hear it when moving forward from a stop but that is very inconsistent.

Reactions
@Crusier133,

No it's a known issue that Ford knows about. I just had mine come back about a week or two ago.

Had the same issue with the clicking noise from Park>Drive>Reverse

I found it clicked every single time the Explorer would rock back and fourth. The clicking noise was extremely noticeable at every gas & let go situation.

When I brought it in the first time, Ford told me that there was a crack in my catalytic convertor and had to order me new parts. They came in and did my recall/fix but notice the noise was still there.

I called my service centre a week later and explained the issue still existed.

When they checked it again (2nd time), the main shop foreman said he could easily hear the truck clicking when the tech applied the gas and let up when pulling it into the bay doors..

"Click... Click-Click.. Click.. Click" <--- They found it. FINALLY

Issue was solved by them installing washers on the real axel bolts. Ford's shop foreman said it was a known issue with all the police suv's and they were all brought in to have the clicking noise removed.

He further explained that Ford manufactures plant used to put the washers on pre-covid, but to save costs, they've now removed them which is causing the bolts to click every time the truck is in motion. Forward or backwards.

Since then, they is no more clicking noises coming from underneath and it's only one click into gear and out-of gear now.

I would def looked to get it fixed.

Shop foreman said, "yep no worries, we fixed it. Removed the bolts, applied the missing washers and put everything back together..." All better..! No more clicking....

In other words, Ford CAN'T just tighten up the bolts, they need the washer/spacers.

Good luck and glad you brought this up... It bothered the hell outta me while I drove and heard that..

Last edited:
Reactions
@Cruiser133 The clicking noise could also be axle splines. Some here just needed them re-lubed. Others (like me) needed one replaced. But both fixed the issue.

OP
Cruiser133

Cruiser133

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Excellent responses guys, I really appreciate it!!!

OP
Cruiser133

Cruiser133

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Turns out my differential bolts were sheering according to the dealer even after they did the recall a few months ago. So now I will be without the ST for a few weeks until they source the subframe and all the related parts. According to them, Ford does not supply a loaner and only reimburses up to $40 a day for 10 days for a rental. That some BS or what?

Explorer ST Posts