Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

RESOLVED: Clicking: P to D (video)

Reactions
Hey all, I have a 2021 with 12K. I noticed this a while ago....but honestly thought it was just normal sounds when shifting in and out gear. Recently i think its getting worse. Im going to take it in soon.....but in the meantime, wondering if anyone has this noise. It happens just about everytime its shifted into reverse......or back into park.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Honestly can’t hear anything. There is a motor that does the actual shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
@Cruising68 I happens between :03 and :04. Its much higher pitched in the video.

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
I just starting having this at 37.5 miles myself. It happens from park to reverse. Any update?

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Hey all, I have a 2021 with 12K. I noticed this a while ago....but honestly thought it was just normal sounds when shifting in and out gear. Recently i think its getting worse. Im going to take it in soon.....but in the meantime, wondering if anyone has this noise. It happens just about everytime its shifted into reverse......or back into park.

I’m having this same issue suddenly. Did you ever figure out the problem here? Thanks, J

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
@jefferylay Took it to the dealer and they said some BS about there being a brake applied. When the gears switch from P to R the brake is released and thats the noise.....which is complete BS because it didnt happen until recently AND it also makes the same noise when rolling 1 to gear 2 and versa.

Im going to take it back soon and have the technician ride with me in a quiet setting.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Update: Took it to a new dealer and was able to replicate it. Technician said he needs to have the Sr. tech take a look since he doesn't know happening. I will report back when i get something from the dealer

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Update: Took it to a new dealer and was able to replicate it. Technician said he needs to have the Sr. tech take a look since he doesn't know happening. I will report back when i get something from the dealer
Gotcha please keep us posted! Tysm!

Reactions
It's the axle splines. Have them lube them, takes like 10 minutes.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
@SilverST Was that the fix for you? I just noticed the other thread related to this issue

Reactions
@SilverST Was that the fix for you? I just noticed the other thread related to this issue
Yes sir!

I rode with the foreman at the dealership, he said he'd have a tech look at it, and that he thought he knew what it was.
Apparently it's a problem on the PIU explorers a lot, he knew exactly what to do. They lubed them up and had me out of there in an instant.

Mjbadb

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Following. Same issue here.

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Yes sir!

I rode with the foreman at the dealership, he said he'd have a tech look at it, and that he thought he knew what it was.
Apparently it's a problem on the PIU explorers a lot, he knew exactly what to do. They lubed them up and had me out of there in an instant.
Hey there my car is at the dealer and they can’t find any ford service bulletins about it other than harsh engagement from 6 to 7th gear. He says there are up to 8 axle splines and is asking which splines are the culprit. Also could you pass along the name and number of the dealer you went to where the foreman said he knew about it on PIU’s so we can call them advisor to advisor and see their technicals notes? Thanks so very much. This is really concerning.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Update:
After the worst customer service, I took my car away from the dealer before i could mention @SilverST fix. I have an appt on monday at another dealer will mention the axle suggestion. @jefferylay please keep this thread updated with yours.

Last edited:

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Update:
After the worse customer service, I took my car away from the dealer before i could mention @SilverST fix. I have an appt on monday at another dealer will mention the axle suggestion. @jefferylay please keep this thread updated with yours.
Absolutely. Please share the name and contact info of the dealer and service manager you work with so they can all share notes. Mine said he wants to figure it out bc there are so many ST’s on the road in COS. He also said there was a similar weird issue with super duty trucks he recalls and is chasing that as well. DM me directly to share contact info on dealers. JL

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Update. Service replicated the issue. Recognized and trying to figure it out. Any / all info appreciated. It’s being designated a drivetrain problem covered under the large power train warranty. Source tbd.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Update. Service replicated the issue. Recognized and trying to figure it out. Any / all info appreciated. It’s being designated a drivetrain problem covered under the large power train warranty. Source tbd.
Any updates on the cause?

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Any updates on the cause?
they ordered a bunch of parts but I can’t recite it. It’s (to the chagrin of some forum members) being on some level attributes to the rear axle bolt issue and/or the hard shifting issue. I’ll know more when the parts are replaced in a week or so. They said it’s a 2 day tear down job minimum and we agreed not to drive the car in this condition. Mine is actually rolling back as well as making the loud clicking noise so who knows. But I will definitely keep everyone updated.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
Update: Just got it back from dealer #3. They used a stethoscope and isolated the noise to the rear left axel. They replaced the half axel assembly so far so good. I only driven it 10 miles but under the same circumstances it didn't have any issues. Considering the other related thread....you should confidently say to your tech's thats it needs a new axel.

Was in and out within a day and half and under warranty

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Update: Just got it back from dealer #3. They used a stethoscope and isolated the noise to the rear left axel. They replaced the half axel assembly so far so good. I only driven it 10 miles but under the same circumstances it didn't have any issues. Considering the other related thread....you should confidently say to your tech's thats it needs a new axel.

Was in and out within a day and half and under warranty
Thanks! Will bring it up. They found the noise in the front on mine. They're swapping that axel and A subframe (?) at a min. They're also replacing whatever parts are related to the bolt fracture issues as well (I got lambasted on here by another owner for now being techno smart on it so I'll just say "whatever parts" to avoid anyone's ire). Let's all keep in touch on this one ... this is a real thing!.