Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Clicking/Clunking under driver side floor

Reactions
Yes, it happens when the tank is 3/4 or more full. I’ve test driven many and it is confirmed that all of them make the sound. Per my Service Manager, Ford admitted there’s no fix at this time and has directed service departments not to pursue any other attempts at repair until a resolution has been found by Engineering. This weekend my dealership helped me into an F-150 without having to go through the buyback with Ford. I’m sad that the ST had to go but very happy to be back into an F-150. Lesson learned: NEVER buy a first year redesign.
Sad to see you leave the ST but glad you got a good resolution. I'm probably heading down the same path as well. Thanks for the update.

Reactions
Yes, it happens when the tank is 3/4 or more full. I’ve test driven many and it is confirmed that all of them make the sound. Per my Service Manager, Ford admitted there’s no fix at this time and has directed service departments not to pursue any other attempts at repair until a resolution has been found by Engineering. This weekend my dealership helped me into an F-150 without having to go through the buyback with Ford. I’m sad that the ST had to go but very happy to be back into an F-150. Lesson learned: NEVER buy a first year redesign.
I am not sure if I am having issues, but I also like to think my SUV is a Transformer so... I'll be checking for the noise.

Reactions
I didnt notice the gas tank sloosh until my 4th fillup or so. Or maybe my music was on too loud all the time.

Now that I know it's there, I hear it all the time when above 3/4 tank.

zjennings

Reactions
Please provide us with the name and contact info for this Ford Dealer. I have the exact same issue. It's really bothering me. Hope they have figured out a solution.

MattS2020

Reactions
Ours makes clicking and relay clacking sounds in our driveway after being driven. Sometimes this lasts for minutes. It is like it is doing a diagnostic test our something. I find it weird and no, it is not component ping as they cool.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine has a whole series of noises several minutes after shutting down. They sound like something is being shut off, maybe by a timer.

Reactions
With all the computer controlled electronics, relays, solenoids, servomotors, and so on that cars have nowadays, certain noises are to be expected. I came to appreciate this with the electronic throttle in my current (soon to be former) car, which can be heard cycling open and closed before the engine starts (much more noticeable if you are standing outside the car and use the remote starter), and also clicks & whines after shutting the car down for 30 seconds or more. Eventually one learns to disregard those kinds of noises after a while and accept them as "normal" or the "car doing its thing". Obviously this is not true of knocking noises, that's a whole different story, but electronics noises are to be expected since cars are so electronics-laden now.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
With all the computer controlled electronics, relays, solenoids, servomotors, and so on that cars have nowadays, certain noises are to be expected. I came to appreciate this with the electronic throttle in my current (soon to be former) car, which can be heard cycling open and closed before the engine starts (much more noticeable if you are standing outside the car and use the remote starter), and also clicks & whines after shutting the car down for 30 seconds or more. Eventually one learns to disregard those kinds of noises after a while and accept them as "normal" or the "car doing its thing". Obviously this is not true of knocking noises, that's a whole different story, but electronics noises are to be expected since cars are so electronics-laden now.
My previous Explorer, a 2017, had some of those noises. The new one has a lot more, but it also has a lot more going on under the hood.

Reactions
There is a wire or bundled wire harness under my seat that moves around and makes similar noises.

Reactions
My previous Explorer, a 2017, had some of those noises. The new one has a lot more, but it also has a lot more going on under the hood.
Cars are so complicated nowadays it’s a wonder they run at all, in my mind.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Cars are so complicated nowadays it’s a wonder they run at all, in my mind.
I have a 14 year old Wrangler that I can still work on myself. Anything newer I open the hood and just stare.

Reactions
I have a 14 year old Wrangler that I can still work on myself. Anything newer I open the hood and just stare.
It's one of many reasons I gave up on my original career choice of auto mechanics and went in a totally and utterly different direction. Mechanics isn't just turning wrenches anymore, hasn't been for a long time, and it's way more complicated than I have the patience for. I'm good with the basics - fluids, filters, tire swaps, brakes, but beyond most of that, that's what someone else gets paid and heavily trained to do.

Makes me miss my old '86 Celebrity - it was a pile of junk by the time I got it but I could still do some work on it lol

lordboots

Reactions
I've got the same kind of thudding / rattle sound when we drive down the road. I thought it was something like a back passenger window rattle. So it's not a panel loose or anything like that? It happens when we are driving down the road and hitting bumps as well. I thought it might be the back passenger plate banging on the tailgate so I bought a better plate holder and put 4 screws on it to stop the thunking sound. We just put $6k into upgrades on it, so maybe I could get some deadening mats under there to get to stop making that incessant noise. At this point, if they buy it back, would they pay for the aftermarket installs we did?

Reactions
I've got the same kind of thudding / rattle sound when we drive down the road. I thought it was something like a back passenger window rattle. So it's not a panel loose or anything like that? It happens when we are driving down the road and hitting bumps as well. I thought it might be the back passenger plate banging on the tailgate so I bought a better plate holder and put 4 screws on it to stop the thunking sound. We just put $6k into upgrades on it, so maybe I could get some deadening mats under there to get to stop making that incessant noise. At this point, if they buy it back, would they pay for the aftermarket installs we did?
No. The money you put into mods goes bye bye.

MattS2020

Reactions
I do not notice any clicking or solenoid sound while driving at all, just after shutting it down. it is like it is running diagnostics.

Reactions
I do not notice any clicking or solenoid sound while driving at all, just after shutting it down. it is like it is running diagnostics.
It's pretty normal. Just things cycling on and off, valves and solenoids being returned to their shutdown/pre-startup positions, that kind of thing. Totally normal for modern cars.

OP
Trabuek
Reactions
Thread Starter #38
My issue was the fuel tank. After replacing it, many visits to the shop, and conversations with management I was able to get out of the vehicle within the dealership without going through Ford. Ford Engineers were telling the service department to not fix anything else until a solution was found at the corporate engineering level. Not worth my time. It was fun to drive while it lasted but I’m glad to be back into an F-150.

Alex2911

Reactions
I can reproduce this on my 2020. I do not have the street pack or performance pack. I have yet to take it to the dealer, but planned on it this week. Less than 2000 miles on the car

KegsBdry

Reactions
You'll have me listening to my Ford every time I pull up to/away from a red light for now on.

They were not able to correctly identify the problem? But it is related, somehow, to how full your gas tank is?