Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Clicking/Clunking under driver side floor

Reactions
Anyone notice a knocking/clicking/clunking sound and feel underneath the floor while slowing down to a red light or just starting out at the light? It’s like something is engaging/disengaging...

Reactions
Anyone notice a knocking/clicking/clunking sound and feel underneath the floor while slowing down to a red light or just starting out at the light? It’s like something is engaging/disengaging...
Any follow up to this?

Reactions
So I am having the same exact noise coming from up front. Mine definitely seems brakes related because it will do it on a smooth road and only when barely moving and I hit the brakes. Seems to act up more in reverse. I hooked FORScan up to it which allows me to see fault codes that most can not see. I found that I keep getting a fault code for abs brake module. After clearing the code several times it keeps coming back. Now after seeing the code I do feel like it might be the abs pump kicking on when it shouldn’t and that might be what I am feeling in the floor board.

OP
Trabuek
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
So I am having the same exact noise coming from up front. Mine definitely seems brakes related because it will do it on a smooth road and only when barely moving and I hit the brakes. Seems to act up more in reverse. I hooked FORScan up to it which allows me to see fault codes that most can not see. I found that I keep getting a fault code for abs brake module. After clearing the code several times it keeps coming back. Now after seeing the code I do feel like it might be the abs pump kicking on when it shouldn’t and that might be what I am feeling in the floor board.
Thanks for the info! Let me know if you take it in and get this fixed and if the problem is resolved. If I end up getting fed up with the noise enough I’ll take it in too...

Lak

Reactions
Great info. Keep us updated so we can all get this fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Trabuek
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Took it in today and rode with two different techs, one with me driving and the other with the tech driving. We were able to reproduce the sound multiple times. I made an appointment to take it in next week. Will keep everyone updated.

OP
Trabuek
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Following up: has been in the shop since Wednesday morning (1/15) with no success. They tried giving it back to me that evening and wanted me to bring it back sometime to have a different technician look at it. I refused and left it until they can fix it. They told me they noticed a small leak near the rear driveshaft but when asking them to explain, the service advisor didn’t want to jump to conclusions yet. So, that’s still up in the air. Apparently his manager and my salesman are now involved and aware of the situation? Not sure why my salesman would care. Anyway, he said the next update will be tomorrow afternoon. More to come...

OP
Trabuek
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Just checking to see if you’ve found out anything new yet? Thanks!

Reactions
Just checking to see if you’ve found out anything new yet? Thanks!
Same issue here with me. I have less than 300 miles on it, but noticed this on the 4 STs I test drove. I doesn’t happen all the time, but it’s noticeable enough that I’m listening for it every time I stop. Interested to know what you find. Its really irritating.

OP
Trabuek
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Update: The ST has been in the shop again since Monday and they’ve finally made some progress, I hope. They ordered a new fuel tank to address the noise underneath the drive side and new control arm linkages to address the “thud” sound up front. Fingers crossed and updates to follow.

OP
Trabuek
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Same issue here with me. I have less than 300 miles on it, but noticed this on the 4 STs I test drove. I doesn’t happen all the time, but it’s noticeable enough that I’m listening for it every time I stop. Interested to know what you find. Its really irritating.
Got the ST back yesterday with a new fuel tank and sway bar linkages... it’s making the same exact noises still. The service department is at a loss and in contact with Ford.

Reactions
Got the ST back yesterday with a new fuel tank and sway bar linkages... it’s making the same exact noises still. The service department is at a loss and in contact with Ford.
Geeeeeeez....

Reactions
I remember hearing stories from years ago of assembly line workers hiding random objects inside the frame rails of cars they built. One was a bottle with a note inside it that, when eventually discovered, was purported to say something along the lines of "Now you know what the knocking noise was". I don't know if there's truth to those stories or not, but I wonder if some disgruntled line worker might have inserted something somewhere in the structure of the car that is just knocking around.

sean6365

Reactions
After 4000 miles I’m getting the noises from the drivers front and getting the knocking in gas tank when full. Trying to wait til 5000 miles when it goes in for oil change to bring these issues up plus few more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Trabuek
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
I activated the assistance of the dealership's General Manager and Service Manager. They are pushing Ford Engineering hard and told me yesterday that they're actually looking at a redesign of the tank as a solution. The Service Manager actually calls me daily with updates and said he threatened Ford with having to buy it back if a solution wasn't found soon. I'm going to get the ball rolling on Monday with the buyback process just in case. I don't see this being a fast process either way.

sean6365

Reactions
I activated the assistance of the dealership's General Manager and Service Manager. They are pushing Ford Engineering hard and told me yesterday that they're actually looking at a redesign of the tank as a solution. The Service Manager actually calls me daily with updates and said he threatened Ford with having to buy it back if a solution wasn't found soon. I'm going to get the ball rolling on Monday with the buyback process just in case. I don't see this being a fast process either way.
Any news from Ford or the buy back process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Does it only happening when you gas tank is more than half way or full? Or happens all the time. My noise is exactly what you're describing but usually when more than full tank.

OP
Trabuek
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Does it only happening when you gas tank is more than half way or full? Or happens all the time. My noise is exactly what you're describing but usually when more than full tank.
Yes, it happens when the tank is 3/4 or more full. I’ve test driven many and it is confirmed that all of them make the sound. Per my Service Manager, Ford admitted there’s no fix at this time and has directed service departments not to pursue any other attempts at repair until a resolution has been found by Engineering. This weekend my dealership helped me into an F-150 without having to go through the buyback with Ford. I’m sad that the ST had to go but very happy to be back into an F-150. Lesson learned: NEVER buy a first year redesign.