Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Chip tune

Reactions
Has anyone use a TDI tuning chip. I can’t afford one of the major tune. This one looked pretty good.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
In my experience over 40 years of wrenchin, the chips NEVER do anything worthwhile and unfortunately sometimes do some damage. Tried one when I was in my 20's. Made my Tahoe ping so bad I took it out. IMO only reliable tune method is with logging to fine tune it. Otherwise you are playing with fire.

Reactions
Im not understanding how you can roll with a 60k ride but cant finagle 950 bucks for a zfg setup??

LokiWolf

Reactions
All of the above is spot on.

Get a proper tune from a proper tuner or don’t do it. Pretty simple.

ZFG
Gearhead
JDM
PBD

To name a few.

Otherwise it is not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Just got my ZFG 93 tune and I promise you its worth every penny... Don't waste your time with anything else... I will say I've heard good things about PBD and Gearhead so can't go wrong there either but invest in a good tune, not some snake oil chip. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Reactions
Echo what Fuzzytip said. You have a $55-60k SUV. If you can't "afford" to do something a critical as a tune correctly then stay away from upgrades all together. You would literally be burning your money with that TDI "tune" as it will do nothing. You can get a hack-job exhaust or intake, but when it comes to tuning don't skimp.

meridock

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have the 93 tune. Last night I had the opportunity to see what it could do. the M3 next to me really had to try to pull away. I really really like it. I hope to be able to get a 0-60 or 1/4 in soon, as I need to have ZFG check those logs, but when you put the foot in it. The truck will scoot.