Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT/ DISASTER AVERTED

Reactions
Purchased my 2020 ST 3 weeks ago. While leaving the dealer after taking delivery the car felt very sluggish and under powered. My immediate thought was there was a misfiring cylinder. Being a bit overwhelmed with excitement and disbelief I didn't even notice if the check engine light was on. (I mention this because after the second occurrence then dissecting what I could I noticed the check engine light; small, not too alarming and tucked on that left side.) That day after delivery I pulled over, turned the car on and off a few times and kept my foot buried in the throttle hoping to blow out the misfire. After a few small trips that evening I had full power and was pleased. I attributed it to multiple start/ stops at the dealer during the delivery prep process and wrote it off. This Saturday 10-18-20 it occurred again and the check engine light was on. Took it to the dealer. They found that the coolant pump was not secured to the frame rail and hanging/ supported by the coolant hoses. The wire harness for the pump was taught and routed wrong being rubbed by the A/C compressor belt. They had to mount the pump and splice in new sections of wire replacing the damaged. Unreal. 550 miles on the car, 13 at the time of delivery.

Running like a champ now but surely not the way to start off.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Glad to hear. Welcome aboard

hbalek

Reactions
A woman at the dealership with an ST told me she had all of her coolant drain out early on because of loose parts under the hood. They refilled it and tightened it up for her. I guess some of us have bad luck! I had check engine light twice, at 2000 and at 4000 miles, and a PCM reprogram/update seemed to fix it. No lights in over 6 months and 6,000 miles.