Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ceramic coating - Avalon King

Reactions
I recently was able to view a post of a guy that had a Carbonized Gray Explorer ST that was going to use Avalon King ceramic coating before I joined this group. My Explorer is on order and I’m preparing for its arrival. Has anyone else used that particular ceramic coating? How did it turn out? I’m thinking of applying it as soon as I get the Explorer, especially for the black pillars surrounding the windows.

Thanks

Reactions
Mine is over a year old and still holding up well. Really adds a depth to the gloss when it’s clean.

As for the pillars, anything you can do to protect them is a good plan. They scratch if you look at them wrong.

Reactions
Does ceramic coating actually work? I was told by a few guys in the industry that its a waste of money but idk if that is true or not.
Considering KNTRDR has had over a year now that should mean something.
I was quoted around 1500CAD for a 5 layer ceramic coat which includes paint correction and the whole 9 yards.
The company said it will last 5 years..

Reactions
Does ceramic coating actually work? I was told by a few guys in the industry that its a waste of money but idk if that is true or not.
I was quoted around 1500CAD for a 5 layer ceramic coat which includes paint correction and the whole 9 yards.
It does work. I mean don’t expect it to stop stone chips and shit, but it will help protect the paint from chemical damage from washes and UV damage from the sun.

Reactions
If you take care of it and do regular maintenance it will last as long as the manufacturer claims assuming they are a reputable company.

Get the right kind of soap and you should be fine, some have "boosters" that help keep the hydrophobics working. I have been using p&s bead maker on my car that has ceramic pro coating with no issues over the last few years.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
"Ceramic Coating" as a thing is real and really works. The results you will get will wholly depend upon the brand you select and how its applied. I don't personally have experience with Avalon King but have heard that even though they are a "YouTube" brand--it actually works pretty well. The brand I have had the most experience with is the XPEL products. They do come with a warranty and they do require a 24hr "cure" in an enclosed space (most of the DIY ones do not). I love it because I literally just need to hose down my car with water from the hose and it looks like it just got detailed. There is no soap/scrubbing needed at all and my coating is about a year and a half old at this point. If you invest in nice wheels, it also REALLY helps to shed brake dust or road grime and keeps wheels (especially black ones) looking shiny and fresh. As far as rock/chip protection? I'm skeptical, but that's what the PPF is for. The cool thing with XPEL ceramic coatings is that they are designed to be applied either over paint or their PPF and as such you get the best of both worlds--paint protection and a freshly detailed shine all the time. Only problem is that it aint cheap. The PPF was between $1k - $2k and the ceramic coating was another $1k. Thats alot of money for paint protection so its just up to you whether you think you need it or want it or its worth it to you.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I have the cheap stuff and it works. Watch The Farm Project on YouTube. He does a good test with some of the cheaper brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
The biggest reason I went with Avalon King was that it was applied by a friend of mine, and he is an auto detailing enthusiast and hobbyist and actually takes his time studying and researching the products right down to their ingredients, and this was the one he chose. Thus far I haven’t been disappointed.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
The biggest reason I went with Avalon King was that it was applied by a friend of mine, and he is an auto detailing enthusiast and hobbyist and actually takes his time studying and researching the products right down to their ingredients, and this was the one he chose. Thus far I haven’t been disappointed.
I have good results applying the cheap stuff. I’m much like your friend. I can imagine how effective the quality products are. I’ll get the expensive stuff after my vehicle is done getting wrapped.

Reactions
Just purchased a bottle of Avalon King after doing some in depth research.
People love this stuff and it seems to be legit with a minimum of 2 years of durability and up to 5 years depending on the elements.
A few professional detailers also highly recommend it so I cant wait to try it out.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
One of You-Tubes top Auto Detailers raves about this AK product.

Pan The Organizer

I have been using the new Turtle Wax Graphene Ceramic products and they are lasting now past 6 months with superior water beading and shine.

https://www.turtlewax.com/collections/exterior-new/graphene

Reactions
One of You-Tubes top Auto Detailers raves about this AK product.

Pan The Organizer

I have been using the new Turtle Wax Graphene Ceramic products and they are lasting now past 6 months with superior water beading and shine.

https://www.turtlewax.com/collections/exterior-new/graphene
Pan the organizer has a great Youtube channel and is very imformative.
I've learned a lot from him.

Magician

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I used it on my 21 ST right after bringing it home in March and have used it on a 2015 daily driver Avalon and it works great on both. Having said that you should know that the diy kits and length of time they last is entirely dependent on how often you wash your ride and what you use to do that. I wash all my cars weekly so I’m anticipating the Avalon King will last less than a year. P&S Bead Maker, Extreme Solutions and Auto Fanatics make boosters for the gloss on the coating as well even though it does in some cases attract dust.

You can also get about 4-6 months shine and protection from good sealer and not have some of the negatives of ceramic coatings.

All of what I posted here is my opinion gathered from my own experience, keep that in mind.

Good Luck

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST 2022
All, brought my agave black ST home last week and I absolutely need to get something on it. Its looking like it might be in the driveway quite a bit as the garage is a bit too snug for comfort.

Tons of yellow pollen here, direct sunlight, rain, oh and a 3 year old....Would love to say that I'm going to have the time to detail/wash every weekend, but it's just not realistic.

Will these products above "help" or do I need to look at more of a full body coating? (Apologies if my thought process/jargon is off. Very new to this!)
* Also probably would want to have it professionally done the first time as I have no clue what I'm doing!

Thanks!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Used Avalon King on a few vehicles. One a mostly garaged 66 Mustang any my Explorer.

The Florida Mustang gets out for a week of driving 4 times a year. It is 2 years since the treatment and it still looks like the day I did it.

Had it on my Explorer for 3 months but it seems to be holding up.

Also had a few cars professionally done. They looked anazing but only lasted a year to year and a half. Price was a lot for the paint correction and I can do a lot of that for free.