Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Catalytic Converters

Reactions
Catalytic converter #3. First 2 replaced due to crack at the weld, passenger and driver side. This one is driver side. This is NOT at a weld, but a fractured pipe. Closest weld is at the very top where a support hanger rod is welded to the top of the cat pipe. 45 years of driving vehicles with CCs and I've replaced more cats in 8 months than the previous 45 years. Good news all covered under warranty, and available. China balloon mystery solved.....pallet of CCs to FOMOCO express delivery

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #2

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is yours a MY2020? When you had them replaced, did you get one the new version with the cast flange?

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Is yours a MY2020? When you had them replaced, did you get one the new version with the cast flange?
Yes 2020. Not sure of the cast flange. Assuming you mean where it bolts at the engine. I’ll look this weekend. I’m putting muffler tape on it so it doesn’t sound like a 60k POS beater until I can get it in to replace.

LondonST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
just had mine replaced yesterday under warranty as well. boy do they stink when breaking them in. bonus that they also did the blue screen back up camera fix as well.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
jeez. at this point I would just be walking into the dealership with a set of aftermarket catted downpipes and tell the service advisor "here put these on and hang onto the FoMoCo supplied ones for a rainy day".

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Is yours a MY2020? When you had them replaced, did you get one the new version with the cast flange?[/QUOte
Appears I did. While I can't get a clear view from under the car or up top, I checked the invoice and it listed M1MZ-5E212-A and M1MZ-5S213-R. Both listed as Converter assembly. Said it replaces L1MZ series . Best I can tell the new series has the cast in flange. Pictures I can find show a much more robust design.

Reactions
Mine also, 2020 ST. Part of recall about exhaust smoke in the cabin on hard accceleeration. Done twice over six months and finally okay.

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Catalytic converter #3. First 2 replaced due to crack at the weld, passenger and driver side. This one is driver side. This is NOT at a weld, but a fractured pipe. Closest weld is at the very top where a support hanger rod is welded to the top of the cat pipe. 45 years of driving vehicles with CCs and I've replaced more cats in 8 months than the previous 45 years. Good news all covered under warranty, and available. China balloon mystery solved.....pallet of CCs to FOMOCO express delivery
New here and curious what prompted you to identify this issue. Was it a loud noise or smoke from the exhaust? Just picked up a 2020 ST and am wondering if there are any symptoms I should keep an eye out for.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
it may be louder, you may smell exhaust in the cabin but you may not. Best way is visual inspection. It's hard to see the welds by the flange. my crack was the weld further down. also the flex sections in the midpipe are prone to rattle then fail. keep an eye on those too.

Reactions
My 2020 ST had exhaust cataylitic sulphur smell at start. Got worse over time. Under hard acceleration, cabin would fill with exhaust smoke in short time. First repair failed. Second time has worked now for about a year.

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My 2020 ST had exhaust cataylitic sulphur smell at start. Got worse over time. Under hard acceleration, cabin would fill with exhaust smoke in short time. First repair failed. Second time has worked now for about a year.
Nothing on cold start for me but I do smell it a bit on HARD acceleration, which I didn't find too unusual at first. No visible smoke that I could notice. Thinking it might pay to have it checked under warranty though if this is a known issue,

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You should not have exhaust smells in the cabin, period! If you do, tell your dealer and have them check, preferably when you bring it in for an oil change or other. They shouldn't charge you if you are under warranty.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
New here and curious what prompted you to identify this issue. Was it a loud noise or smoke from the exhaust? Just picked up a 2020 ST and am wondering if there are any symptoms I should keep an eye out for.
sounds like a hole in a muffler. Very noticeable when idling. Look for black staining on the pipe. 2020s have a recall on them. Next time on a rack have someone check it out. Cheers

Reactions
Mine started the same way, small at first, then got worse. Get it fixed.

Explorer ST Posts