Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Car wash/detail tips

Reactions
Finally a warm enough day to wash her. What a job, thank God I cleaned the interior the other day. Shout out to Chemical Guys for the cleaning kit. Gotta say I love the foam sprayer and believe it or not, the sponge for detailing the exterior plastic and tires. Makes it so much easier than a rag. The darker color is certainly an issue when the sun is beaming (last explorer was tri-white) I used the leaf blower to get most of the water off but had a lot of areas that required detailing. Any hints or ideas would be appreciated. IMG_4830.jpg

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Finally a warm enough day to wash her. What a job, thank God I cleaned the interior the other day. Shout out to Chemical Guys for the cleaning kit. Gotta say I love the foam sprayer and believe it or not, the sponge for detailing the exterior plastic and tires. Makes it so much easier than a rag. The darker color is certainly an issue when the sun is beaming (last explorer was tri-white) I used the leaf blower to get most of the water off but had a lot of areas that required detailing. Any hints or ideas would be appreciated. View attachment 4589
P&S Beadmaker as a drying agent or spray on wipe off after a wash really makes it pop. Works on everything. Windows, rims, and paint. It’s cheap too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Finally a warm enough day to wash her. What a job, thank God I cleaned the interior the other day. Shout out to Chemical Guys for the cleaning kit. Gotta say I love the foam sprayer and believe it or not, the sponge for detailing the exterior plastic and tires. Makes it so much easier than a rag. The darker color is certainly an issue when the sun is beaming (last explorer was tri-white) I used the leaf blower to get most of the water off but had a lot of areas that required detailing. Any hints or ideas would be appreciated. View attachment 4589
Looks great by the way.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thank you. I'll check into the drying agent
They also have a great wheel/tire cleaner. Does both at the same time. P&S Brakebuster. Works great in a foam gun too.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Of course it goes without saying that a nice coat of wax, quality sealant or coating will help the finish shed water when a blower hits it. One comment on blowers, I’d suggest people use electric blowers where possible. Gas blowers often have the exhaust picked up in the air stream and it puts it on the finish.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Another good idea is to get a clay mitt. Helps really decontaminate the paint after you wash. Do a good washing to get the dirt off then resoap it with your foam sprayer and use the clay mitt. Works great!

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Now this is just how I do it. Every body has their own way.
I use one of those big micro fiber mitts . I have 2 buckets , 5 gal. One is clear water the other is soap water(Meguiars car wash).
Rinse in clear bucket.
Keep spraying entire vehicle , to keep it wet till I'm done washing.
Blow dry mostly , then dry rest of it with micro fiber drying towel.
If I see ANY water marks , I use Meguiars detail spray and wipe .

Jim

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I've got the black ST wheels, which look great but I'm struggling to keep the inside walls of the wheel clean. I use a rag and wipe them down after a wash but one rainy day or a dirty road and they're messy again. Two questions:
1)what's the best tool to use to clean these? it's tough on the hands getting in there and around the calipers!
2)is there a coating you can put on that at least helps repel water or dirt?

thanks!

1617117055291.png

Reactions
I've got the black ST wheels, which look great but I'm struggling to keep the inside walls of the wheel clean. I use a rag and wipe them down after a wash but one rainy day or a dirty road and they're messy again. Two questions:
1)what's the best tool to use to clean these? it's tough on the hands getting in there and around the calipers!
2)is there a coating you can put on that at least helps repel water or dirt?

thanks!
What if the wheel(s) is removed, cleaned and then you put some ceramic coating on them (inside of the wheels)? I'd like to try that myself.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
What if the wheel(s) is removed, cleaned and then you put some ceramic coating on them (inside of the wheels)? I'd like to try that myself.
I definitely think taking the wheel off is the best way to get to it! Not sure I want to go through that hassle every time I wash it (esp. given the very different 4 seasons we get here in Western PA) Thought someone here might have found a life-hack using a type of brush or tool! If you go with the ceramic coating, please post the results. thanks!

Reactions
This is what I’m going to do soon. It will definitely work. Also check out the Chemical Guys Rimpaca line of brushes. They’re too pricey for me but they have a set of angled brushes. They seem to do a good job (at least on video) of reaching behind the spokes. Can use the straight ones for the barrel. I clean mine with diluted chemical guys degreaser. Rinse. Then use meguiars all wheel cleaner, hose and wipe. Takes a fair amount of time per wheel but they looks great when done. Usually last about a week before looking like crap again.

Reactions
I definitely think taking the wheel off is the best way to get to it! Not sure I want to go through that hassle every time I wash it (esp. given the very different 4 seasons we get here in Western PA) Thought someone here might have found a life-hack using a type of brush or tool! If you go with the ceramic coating, please post the results. thanks!
I spray some detail spray and wipe it with my hand....not the most fun exercise but if you keep on it they go quickly. Even using a brush you still need a wipe if you want to get them perfect.

I took mine off and clayed and polished and sealed them, makes it easier to clean but the process remains the same.

Reactions
There are microfiber gloves you can get (with 5 independent fingers, not a "washing" glove), and that's what I use for the wheels. Spray her down with water and wheel cleaner, hit the lugs with a detailing brush, then wipe the rest down with your gloved hand. Works pretty well for me.

Reactions

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I’m going to pull my wheels this weekend and ceramic coat them with Gyeon Rim. I will coat the calipers too. I use a wheel woolie now which makes it pretty easy. P&S Brake Buster, wheel woolie, and small brush for the lugs.

OP
Floxx
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Thoughts on California dust cleaners? Yay or Nah?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I would not recommend the California dusters. In the end they are dragging dust across your finish. If you’re really trying to avoid micro-marring I believe this is a sound recommendation. That said if you drive it through a car wash that uses brushes, no big deal.

OP
Floxx
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
I would not recommend the California dusters. In the end they are dragging dust across your finish. If you’re really trying to avoid micro-marring I believe this is a sound recommendation. That said if you drive it through a car wash that uses brushes, no big deal.
Thanks, thought the same just needed another opinion. Many years back everyone had one. No car washes here. Two bucket hand wash :)

Reactions
Thoughts on California dust cleaners? Yay or Nah?
Personally torn on this one. Don’t need to ever use on our Star White ST as dust is barely visible. On my black DD though I get pissed because it’s dusty AF 1 day after a full detail. I lightly drag just the fibers over a light dust frequently and haven’t noticed any issues.