Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Capless fuel tank issues?

JustinST

Reactions
I had to fill up for the first time yesterday and the pump kept switching off as if the tank was full. My Focus ST had the capless fuel tank aswell and I never had any issues. Has anyone ran into this?. What I had to do was let the gas pour at the slowest rate.. if I ever did a full squeeze it would switch off after about 1 second. I tried pushing the the hose tip in as far as I could, and I tried pulling it back some, either way I had the same issue.

Is there something I'm missing? Again, I used this exact same pump on my ST with the same capless system and never had an issue.

Reactions
I didn't have an issue during my 1 and only fill up but I had a 2017 corvette that was terrible for that.

Reactions
I had the issue with my first fill up but haven’t had it since. I think it was the pump in my situation.

Reactions
I noticed that too. I just back out the nozzle a little and that fixed it.

Reactions
Maybe next time try another pump at that gas station just to confirm, I think it might be the nozzle too.

Reactions
Happened to me again today. This may not be a coincidence.

Reactions
Mine is touchy but once I find that sweet spot its fine. Tried several pumps. same issues.

Reactions
Mine did it as well on first fill up. Was hoping it was just the pump I was at. Haven’t had to fill up again yet so we will see.

Ghighway

Reactions
I've had that issue several times...

Reactions
I notice that it is a more snug fit with a tighter rubber ring that my older Explorer and Mustangs do not have. Maybe it is an EPA thing to prevent fumes from getting out as you fill the tank.

Reactions
It's going to depend on the handle's sensor. See that little pipe built into the nozzle; once gas blocks the air going in there, the handle will "break". When the pump's nozzle in in any position - if the pump's flow pressure is high enough to cause back-splash to the sensor, it will "break". And it's not really how much you open the nozzle as much as it's at what the pump's pressure is set.

How it Works!

PJ

hbalek

Reactions
Just don't put it all the way in
That's what she said! LOL But seriously my issues with this vary from pump to pump and certain gas stations. I had the same issue with my 2013 MKZ at different pumps. It seems it's a pressure issue and someone at the station recently said he thinks it happens more when the pump is low on gas.

iBobFX4

Reactions
Only filled up once, and yes... I had to adjust the nozzle and flow rate so that it didn't switch off. Never had that problem on my '17 Explorer that I traded for this one.

tc3driver

Reactions
I have also not experienced issues with either of my previous vehicles (13 F-150 and 16 Explorer Ltd) that had the capless system, I have yet to fill up but will be doing so today, will update if there are any issues. Though I usually have issues like that when there is a failure with the recirculation system in the pumps themselves, if you stick your finger between the mating surfaces on the outer edge of the fuel nozzle the problem should go away.

iBobFX4

Reactions
Only filled up once, and yes... I had to adjust the nozzle and flow rate so that it didn't switch off. Never had that problem on my '17 Explorer that I traded for this one.
2nd Fillup was normal. Must have been an issue with the pump at the first station.