Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Called Out On Tune

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I just paid 5490 for a new transmission from ford installed at dealer good luck

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Only one transmission guy seems pretty common in my neck of the woods; however, I'm unsure what classifies a dealership as large. I also feel like a dealership knowing you're tuned, opens the opportunity for a dealership to push for a payday. Once they have that knowledge, you better hope they're ethical, because it would be easy to tie all kinds of diagnosis to the tune. Also, once you make the claim and Ford denies it, you're left with no leg to stand on. You can't go to another one and shop around. If you find a good one that will work with you, first thing is be honest with them, and then ONLY give them your business and none of the others. Hopefully capitalism will eventually prevail. Best of luck with your situation. Remember, built Ford tough.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #43
Only one transmission guy seems pretty common in my neck of the woods; however, I'm unsure what classifies a dealership as large. I also feel like a dealership knowing you're tuned, opens the opportunity for a dealership to push for a payday. Once they have that knowledge, you better hope they're ethical, because it would be easy to tie all kinds of diagnosis to the tune. Also, once you make the claim and Ford denies it, you're left with no leg to stand on. You can't go to another one and shop around. If you find a good one that will work with you, first thing is be honest with them, and then ONLY give them your business and none of the others. Hopefully capitalism will eventually prevail. Best of luck with your situation. Remember, built Ford tough.
They have been unethical since the day I walked in and was told they would have to charge me for two separate diagnostic fees, at $175 each, because the faults I was getting were from two different systems! I told him what the problem was and showed him a TSB related to it and they didn't like that. I should have walked away then but the next closest dealership is about 40 minutes away. I tried making peace by letting them service the transmission while they had it in for the warranty work but now I'm in this mess. I knew I was in trouble when they told me they had to fight with Ford to get the warranty work approved due to having aftermarket cats! They've lied to me, fried my AWD Module, broke the drivers seat side panel and screwed up my transmission, which they are now trying to blame on using a tune. Like I said, I understand the risk of using a tune and I'm prepared to pay out-of-pocket but I'm not going to just let them screw me either! It's kind of funny how the transmission was fine until they serviced it! If I was having an issue before hand and brought it in for service it would be another story, but it was fine until after they serviced it! That's why if it comes down to it I am going to just put a new one in rather than let them try to fix it.

Last edited:

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
They have been unethical since the day I walked in and was told they would have to charge me for two separate diagnostic fees, at $175 each, because the faults I was getting were from two different systems! I told him what the problem was and showed him a TSB related to it and they didn't like that. I should have walked away then but the next closest dealership is about 40 minutes away. I tried making peace by having them service the transmission while they had it in for the warranty work but now I'm in this mess. I knew I was in trouble when they told me they had to fight with Ford to get the warranty work approved due to having aftermarket cats! They've lied to me, fried my AWD Module, broke the drivers seat side panel and screwed up my transmission, which they are now trying to blame on using a tune. Like I said, I understand the risk of using a tune and I'm prepared to pay out-of-pocket but I'm not going to just let them screw me either! It's kind of funny how the transmission was fine until they serviced it! If I was having an issue before hand and brought it in for service it would be another story, but it was fine until after they serviced it! That's why if it comes down to it I am going to just put a new one in rather than let them try to fix it.
I work at a large aerospace manufacturing company in engineering and we have a common saying. "Every time there is a nonconformance and someone has to put hands on it, it will lead to something else"
This is especially true when it's a dealership having to fix issues. There are some great techs, but nowadays, they're fewer and farther between. I will work on mine myself when I have the capability. It only becomes an issue when it's something I don't know how to do or don't have what is required to perform the work.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Why’d you need the new one? Did a tune cause any problems, you think?
No i had car tuned for 25k miles had broke a axle then had tons of codes pop up 6 months later they finally found a fix at ford ended up being a trans and now two months later motor is shit so now new motor time

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
No i had car tuned for 25k miles had broke a axle then had tons of codes pop up 6 months later they finally found a fix at ford ended up being a trans and now two months later motor is shit so now new motor time
May I ask whose tune you were running?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'm not suggesting the tune was the cause for any of those serious issues. I was simply curious. That said, you've pretty well covered losing the whole power train. That is unusual.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I'm not suggesting the tune was the cause for any of those serious issues. I was simply curious. That said, you've pretty well covered losing the whole power train. That is unusual.
Who knows lol i should have it ready in a couple weeks

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
One of the reasons I switched from 5 STAR to Gearhead was due to their shifting in the tune.
The car was down and up shifting hard from time to time. The car would chirp the tires from first to second gear! Once I went to Gearhead all the shifts were clean and smooth. I still have a hard downshift form second to first while in sport mode from time to time, but it is much improved now.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Who knows lol i should have it ready in a couple weeks
jeez man. Ok so, were you fully out of any warranty, or did the dealership figure out that you were tuned? If you had the tune for 25k miles I have to assume that they didn’t notice anything funky with the key starts (or whatever it’s called for how many times the car has been started since the last PCM flash).

How much is the new engine?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
jeez man. Ok so, were you fully out of any warranty, or did the dealership figure out that you were tuned? If you had the tune for 25k miles I have to assume that they didn’t notice anything funky with the key starts (or whatever it’s called for how many times the car has been started since the last PCM flash).

How much is the new engine?
My dealership sucks they didnt touch my car for 6 months a service manager ended up getting fired because 20+ cars hadnt been touched and once trans was paid it got touched and fixed within a week and after that now im in this situation and its 14k and i had the trans covered twice before all this no charge and like 10 other recalls lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My dealership sucks they didnt touch my car for 6 months a service manager ended up getting fired because 20+ cars hadnt been touched and once trans was paid it got touched and fixed within a week and after that now im in this situation and its 14k and i had the trans covered twice before all this no charge and like 10 other recalls lol
Man at that point I think I’d ask them if they want to buy it back.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Man at that point I think I’d ask them if they want to buy it back.
Yea i wanted to get model x but the wife loves the recall machine and hasnt found anything that would replace it so we are keeping it

Explorer ST Posts