Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Called Out On Tune

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It was unplugged for 30 minutes but I didn't do anything else. You're saying that's not long enough unless you press the brake pedal? Why wouldn't the cars own systems drain any power supply capacitors upon removal of battery power?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you want to completely drain everything you pull the + and - wires off the battery and touch them together for 10 seconds or so. Same way it’s been done for decades.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #24
Any idea how much the transmission service is going to cost you? Is it a new transmission or a rebuild or what?
Not yet. Still in limbo. I could start fighting it but I don't want to piss him off and definately get zero paid for. I still get the feeling he is just blowing smoke and dragging his feet because of the aftermarket parts and the key cycles. There is no reason he wouldn't have a definate answer to whether or not Ford is going to cover it. So I'm just playing the game for right now. I have my truck to drive so it's not like I'm without a vehicle.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Not yet. Still in limbo. I could start fighting it but I don't want to piss him off and definately get zero paid for. I still get the feeling he is just blowing smoke and dragging his feet because of the aftermarket parts and the key cycles. There is no reason he wouldn't have a definate answer to whether or not Ford is going to cover it. So I'm just playing the game for right now. I have my truck to drive so it's not like I'm without a vehicle.
Make sure you ask for documentation if your claim is denied, federal law states they must prove the damage was caused by the aftermarket parts. Tunes are more difficult to fight but make sure they are documenting everything if they're denying your claim. Here's some decent information: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...termarket-part-void-my-car-warranty/index.htm

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Make sure you ask for documentation if your claim is denied, federal law states they must prove the damage was caused by the aftermarket parts. Tunes are more difficult to fight but make sure they are documenting everything if they're denying your claim. Here's some decent information: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...termarket-part-void-my-car-warranty/index.htm
They’ve literally already proved it. MagMoss won’t help a bit when they already know he’s tuned.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #27
At this point they haven’t proved anything yet. All they know is that there were only 7 key cycles and I can prove that it’s not from tuning .When I took it in for service the last time there were only 5 key cycles and they called me out on it. But I was able to convince them it was from me using FORScan. This time was not from the tune (not that it matters) because I never flashed the tune back in. They told me there was an issue with the rear end and the transmission was acting up so I left it stock. I know they updated the PCM because of the Parking Brake now engaging automatically and I only drove it a few times between picking it up and dropping it off. That’s why there are only 7 key cycles. But I know that doesn’t matter at this point. If Ford is now aware of it, all they have to do is look into the PCM and will find the vehicle has been tuned. My only hope is that my gut is right and the service manager is just blowing smoke and Ford doesn’t really know about the key cycles. I feel like he is just trying to scare me. Why would they have to open up the transmission before they knew if Ford was going to cover it or not? If Ford knew I was tuned there would be no question as to whether or not they are going to cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The key cycle count is ALL they need. At that point what are you gonna do…sue them to make them prove it?
It’s over if they decide to tell you to pound sand.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
No, it’s not over. Not by any means. I’m already prepared to pay for a new transmission so it’s not a problem. But if they tell me to pound sand I’ll file a complaint with the FTC, the BBB and the AG office. I’ll also post negative reviews anywhere I can. I posted a negative review on Dealerratings.com after I purchased the vehicle because they lied to me about a few things; one of them being that they would get me a second key. Within 30 minutes of posting the review the sales manager called me to see what he could do for me in order for me to take it down! That’s how I got my second key. It may not get me my money back but even if it’s just for my satisfaction, I can still do something.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s not “doing something”…that’s being a petulant child because you got caught breaking the rules and didn’t get your way.
You tuned the car. You know it…they know it.
If they don’t fix it under warranty that’s 100% on YOU. If you file complaints and other childish bullshit…that’s just stupid.
If they help you out on part of it that’s great…but make no mistake if they say it’s over then it’s over and there’s nobody to blame but yourself.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The only issue I have is they are dicking him around telling him they have to take it apart before they can tell him if anything is covered. They should be able to tell you no or yes, they will cover xx dollars of it before he has to decide his best course of action. I think the dealer just wants to make sure he gets the repair.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #32
Exactly what I’m saying! I could take it somewhere else but if he is bullshitting about Ford and I piss him off, I’m screwed! All he has to do is send an email. He sent me an email yesterday and supposedly there are two ambulances in there now and they take priority. He originally told me he pulled the tech to work on an ambulance but now there’s two! It’s also hard to believe there’s only one tech who can work on transmissions! It’s a pretty big dealership. So after three weeks, they haven’t even started on my vehicle yet!

Last edited:
OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #33
That’s not “doing something”…that’s being a petulant child because you got caught breaking the rules and didn’t get your way.
You tuned the car. You know it…they know it.
If they don’t fix it under warranty that’s 100% on YOU. If you file complaints and other childish bullshit…that’s just stupid.
If they help you out on part of it that’s great…but make no mistake if they say it’s over then it’s over and there’s nobody to blame but yourself.
You’re riDICKulous! And I mean that in the most respectful sense!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Not taking responsibility for your own actions as a grown ass man is what’s riDICKulous.
Like you have some right to do all the crap you mentioned to someone’s business just because they make you follow the rules you knew damn well you were breaking. Thank them profusely if they do cover it but be a man and own it if they decide it’s not warranty work because it’s legit NOT.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
Either you haven’t read all I’ve written or lack the capacity to comprehend it. I’ve said more than once that I would pay for it if it was denied! But, they should not be accountable for all the bullshit they have put me through, frying my AWD Module and screwing up my transmission just because I used a tune? Even when the tune had nothing to do with it? That makes no sense at all! They have had my vehicle for three weeks now and still can’t tell me if Ford is going to cover it. That’s bullshit and you know it! You think I should just let it go and do nothing about it and warn other potential customers after all that? Yeah, you do what you what you do but I’m doing what I feel is the right course of action. Has absolutely zero to do with me being a man and excepting responsibility!

Last edited:

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The only issue I have is they are dicking him around telling him they have to take it apart before they can tell him if anything is covered. They should be able to tell you no or yes, they will cover xx dollars of it before he has to decide his best course of action. I think the dealer just wants to make sure he gets the repair.

They may need to take it apart to figure out what caused the failure. Until they do I would think it is all speculation I could well be wrong but that's what I think..

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They may need to take it apart to figure out what caused the failure. Until they do I would think it is all speculation I could well be wrong but that's what I think..
Yeah I get that but it’s not their first rodeo. I had a rear diff go on my Ctsv. It was under warranty but heavily modded. Dealer told me right off the bat GM would likely cover 3/4 to all parts but not labor before even looking at it. Having said that, I had been dealing with this for over 20 years of vehicles so you could say we had a great relationship.

Then again they probably just don’t care. We’ll get to it when we can, we’ll let you know how big of a check to write to get your car back

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
I find that having your OWN way of moving a disabled vehicle gives you a bit of leverage too. If the customer had a HD pickup with a tilt bed trailer + winch, it's harder to get the customer to agree to the delay when they could easily move to vehicle to another shop.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
[mention]Cdubya [/mention] has it correct. If they wanted to they could check also the tune chksum and verify if it was an oem tune or not.

Regarding returning to stock, it’s not hard for them to figure it out then you have to explain. I go in assuming I could lose drivetrain warranty so I try to have a good relationship with a service writer and mechanic and I will tip them both if I get good service. I also negotiate a discount on parts and buy all oem there. If it ever hits the fan I have always received reasonable service. Replace a blown engine, no, but I have got plenty of drivetrain items fixed over the years on modded vehicles.

Who do you go to, cause the service department at Joe Rizza sucks and they try to tie all the claims to mods. I also go to Napleton Ford and they often do the same. They deny claims for things not even related to mods.
I love my ST but hate the service from Ford!