Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Broken Flex Pipe

Bullitt4305

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Star White 2020 Ford Explorer ST
My ST starting sounding like a dirt bike, excessive exhaust smell in the cabin, looked underneath the car and noticed one of the flex joints was separated in the middle. Will it be safe to drive to the dealer? TIA

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Don’t bother with the dealer…just buy the Lethal mid pipes with better flex sections and swap them out yourself.

OP
B

Bullitt4305

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Star White 2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Don’t bother with the dealer…just buy the Lethal mid pipes with better flex sections and swap them out yourself.
I get your point, but it’s under warranty still

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I get your point, but it’s under warranty still
You’ll be lucky if that’s covered. The TSB might get it passed. People gripe daily on FB about broken exhausts not being covered. Plus I’d rather fix little stuff myself rather than have Ford keep the car for weeks and have grubby tech handprints all over everything. A muffler shop could replace both flex sections in an hour.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
UNBROKEN is probably right that aftermarket quality is probably better quality on this pipe, but my dealer replaced one side of mine along with a catalytic converter at about 50K miles under warranty. I did think they shorted me by not replacing both sides, but the odd sound did go away with what they replaced. On the new flex pipe it appears that they moved the flex section closer to the catalytic converter, maybe in hopes of it lasting longer by putting less stress on it.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I totally get not wanting to spend money under warranty! Having said that, it’s never stopped me. To each their own for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
You’ll be lucky if that’s covered. The TSB might get it passed. People gripe daily on FB about broken exhausts not being covered. Plus I’d rather fix little stuff myself rather than have Ford keep the car for weeks and have grubby tech handprints all over everything. A muffler shop could replace both flex sections in an hour.
Had mine in for service last Friday and complained that the drivers side pipe rattles on a cold start, have no leaks or signs of it being broken. Dealer ordering new pipe to be replaced under warranty. 10/2021 with 30k.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Had mine in for service last Friday and complained that the drivers side pipe rattles on a cold start, have no leaks or signs of it being broken. Dealer ordering new pipe to be replaced under warranty. 10/2021 with 30k.
A good service dept will take care of you. You may also need a catalytic converter. Mine on that side has been replaced twice.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
A good service dept will take care of you. You may also need a catalytic converter. Mine on that side has been replaced twice.
Ours have been replaced twice. For free.