Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Brembo brakes

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The SRT calipers need these rotors https://racingbrake.com/2666-k/
Trackhawk calipers need these https://racingbrake.com/2686-k/

That is the price for just the rotors, you still have to source your own calipers.

Can you bleed brakes? Can you turn a wrench? There are literally 2 bolts holding the caliper in place. Take out those 2 bolts, remove old caliper, remove rotor, place new rotor on hub, bolt on new caliper in same place as old one, transfer or replace brake hose, install new pads and pins, bleed brakes, done.

One of the big advantages of switching over to a fixed caliper brake setup is that most of them allow top loading of pads without removing caliper. Just pull pins, slide out old pads, slide in new pads, replace pins, done.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thank you. Would you happen to know which rotor I need maybe even a part number?
At this point reading through the threads I figure the SRT calipers will work I just need the 2 piece rotor to fit them. Also, I need 1" spacers to make this all work..
My friend said his mechanic buddy can do it for me buy I wonder how difficult the install is?
For the SRT Brembo calipers you need rotors from Racing Brake.
For the GT350 Brembo calipers you need GT350 rotors and there’s a guy on the FB groups selling the caliper mounting bracket to make it work.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I thought Tony was still working on the rear adapter making only the front swapable ?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I thought Tony was still working on the rear adapter making only the front swapable ?
Only the front GT350 stuff works.
Racing Brake has the better kit IMHO for someone wanting oem type Brembo calipers especially with their larger rear rotors and new caliper mounting bracket for the oem ST rear caliper. The SRT Brembo front calipers are about the same price as the GT350 stuff.
From there…SuperForged or Rotora is the top of the line.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Only the front GT350 stuff works.
Racing Brake has the better kit IMHO for someone wanting oem type Brembo calipers especially with their larger rear rotors and new caliper mounting bracket for the oem ST rear caliper. The SRT Brembo front calipers are about the same price as the GT350 stuff.
From there…SuperForged or Rotora is the top of the line.
Thanks! I'm not racing or big into the performance braking of what they can actually do (i.e. stopping on a dime). Rotora is nice but pricey. I feel like I wouldn't be getting my money worth to spend that $.
SuperForged and Brembo are on the top of my list.

My objection is truly to get rid of those red calipers and horrible ford oem brake pads. Yes I know I can just paint the calipers but i'd really like different calipers like Brembo/SF. That's my goal. Completely comestic.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Either Racing Brake (Jeep SRT Brembos) or the GT350 kit is great for the front. They both look much nicer and have a wide selection of aftermarket pads so you don't need factory Jeep or Ford pads. IF you do the GT350 kit, I'd highly recommend skipping the Ford pads as you'll be cleaning dust as soon as you just start the car! Either one is a great mid-priced option with fantastic bang for your buck. I'm extremely happy with my GT350 front kit (Powerstop pads front and rear) and this car stops very quickly. I don't have Street Pack brakes and this was my first car with more engine/weight than brakes, so I'm happy to have confidence when stopping now.

If you want to spend more than the roughly $1500 it costs for RB or GT350, then Rotora and Superforged front & rear kits are the best. Much more expensive but now balanced better front/rear and better looks. You just have to weigh the pros of those systems vs the cons of how much they lighten your wallet.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Either Racing Brake (Jeep SRT Brembos) or the GT350 kit is great for the front. They both look much nicer and have a wide selection of aftermarket pads so you don't need factory Jeep or Ford pads. IF you do the GT350 kit, I'd highly recommend skipping the Ford pads as you'll be cleaning dust as soon as you just start the car! Either one is a great mid-priced option with fantastic bang for your buck. I'm extremely happy with my GT350 front kit (Powerstop pads front and rear) and this car stops very quickly. I don't have Street Pack brakes and this was my first car with more engine/weight than brakes, so I'm happy to have confidence when stopping now.

If you want to spend more than the roughly $1500 it costs for RB or GT350, then Rotora and Superforged front & rear kits are the best. Much more expensive but now balanced better front/rear and better looks. You just have to weigh the pros of those systems vs the cons of how much they lighten your wallet.
You can get a better balanced “in between” system also by using the larger Racing Brake rear rotor and caliper mount bracket to move the Street Pack oem caliper out for more brake torque.

Reactions
I'm a bit confused by this, because it looks like the rotors alone are $1500-1600 for the racing brakes stuff. Dollar wise the GT350 would be cheaper, with $900 less in rotors, relatively inexpensive calipers, and a $450 bracket. Am I missing something?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm a bit confused by this, because it looks like the rotors alone are $1500-1600 for the racing brakes stuff. Dollar wise the GT350 would be cheaper, with $900 less in rotors, relatively inexpensive calipers, and a $450 bracket. Am I missing something?
Caliper costs are about the same. They’re both cast aluminum calipers and not real expensive and the RB kit doesn’t need the $450 bracket.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yes the GT350 kit should be cheaper. The rotors should be about $300 each and the calipers about $200 each. Then the $415 bracket from Tony. Then around $100 for the bolts, pins, washers. Then about $50 for pads.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #31
Hey guys,
Which year GT350 rotors fit the 2021 ST?
They seem way cheaper if it's a 2019 era version. We're not talking about the Shelby GT350 correct?!
Also, who do I contact for the $415 bracket?
Is it just one bracket required?
Does anyone have an email?
I'm only interested in doing the front brakes.
I got a quote for a pair of used 2017 Jeep grand cherokee SRT8 6 piston calipers for 1k CAD/$700USD.
These will work correct - SRT8 Brembos.
Also will I need to run wheel spacers with this setup? If so what size?
I have the 21" stock rims.
I run 19" winter rims during the winter.

Tks.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Hey guys,
Which year GT350 rotors fit the 2021 ST?
They seem way cheaper if it's a 2019 era version. We're not talking about the Shelby GT350 correct?!
Also, who do I contact for the $415 bracket?
Is it just one bracket required?
Does anyone have an email?
I'm only interested in doing the front brakes.
I got a quote for a pair of used 2017 Jeep grand cherokee SRT8 6 piston calipers for 1k CAD/$700USD.
These will work correct - SRT8 Brembos.
Also will I need to run wheel spacers with this setup? If so what size?
I have the 21" stock rims.
I run 19" winter rims during the winter.

Tks.
You need to slow down and do some reading. The SRT calipers only work with Racing Brake rotors. The GT350 rotors only work with GT350 rotors and require a mounting bracket for each side.
You’ll need spacers for either one with stock wheels.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #33

So I can just buy a pair of gt350 rotors and calipers, a good pair of pads, and the bracket from Tony and I'm good?

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #34
You need to slow down and do some reading. The SRT calipers only work with Racing Brake rotors. The GT350 rotors only work with GT350 rotors and require a mounting bracket for each side.
Ok thanks.
Ok gotcha.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
So I can just buy a pair of gt350 rotors and calipers, a good pair of pads, and the bracket from Tony and I'm good?
I believe you will also need the hardware to mount the GT 350 calipers. You can use your existing hardware to mount the bracket to the steering knuckle, but you will need the GT 350 hardware to mount the calipers to the bracket.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #36
I believe you will also need the hardware to mount the GT 350 calipers. You can use your existing hardware to mount the bracket to the steering knuckle, but you will need the GT 350 hardware to mount the calipers to the bracket.
Do you know which year works for the gt350 calipers and rotors?
Idk which year to look for that fits thr ST
Tks.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
All years should be the same.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I think I’m going to just do RB BBK 405mm upfront and 380mm rear. Should I stay with the RB pads or will other pads work like Hawk or similar?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Here is a part list for the GT 350 Front.

Part #

FR3Z-1125-E RH-Front Rotor
FR3Z-1125-F LH-Front Rotor

FR3V-2010-BE LOADED CALIPER, FRONT RIGHT
FR3Z-2B120-G

FR3V-2011-BE LOADED CALIPER, FRONT LEFT
FR3Z-2B121-F

FR3Z-2001-L Brake Pads Front

FR3Z-2068-D Caliper Retainer Kit

W712276-S430 Bolt Banjo (x2)
W711784-S300 Brake Hose Washer (x4)
W717394-S439 Caliper Bolt (x4)

2019 Mustang GT350 Brake Hardware Kit Caliper Retainer Kit:
https://www.opmustang.com/store/p344/2015-2019_Mustang_GT350_Brake_Hardware_Kit_-_Front.html#/

GT350 Adapter Brackets - DM Tony Hernandez

2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350, Shelby GT350R 5.2L V8 - Gas

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@Stone17 list above is perfect. I'd skip the Ford pads as they make dust while you're parked. Make sure you're getting the red GT350R calipers and not the base black GT350 calipers since it sounds like you have the Street Pack brakes. And you will need spacers if you are running the stock 21s.

The only modification needed to make this fit is cut off the small L-shaped retaining tab from the factory brake lines. I don't have a picture, but you'll see when you get there. No hole for this to fit on the GT350 calipers.

All GT350 brakes 2015-2020 are the same. I know in either 2019 or 2020 they switched to blank rotors from the older drilled design, but on this car that's only for aesthetics.