Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Brake Caliper Covers

Reactions
Hi All.

Just took delivery of my 2022 ST with the HP package. I noticed that the brake caliper did not have "covers" on them. (there are clips for the covers but no covers) I pointed it out to the dealer and I was told that the covers were "aftermarket" ford motorsports parts and did not come from the factory with them. I was also told that they covers would be detrimental to the brakes cooling abilities. True?

thank you

L

Attachments

Reactions
Aside from the fact most (no...all) covers look like garbage, i could see where they could effect cooling performance if you we're tracking the vehicle heavy. Seeing as these are 5000lbs SUVs and that scenario is unlikely, id say no it wouldn't effect your performance... but... ittl look tacky... leave them alone imo. Also those clips are not for the covers, their simply the clips for holding the pads in place.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Those clips are for the pads to slide in. The ST does not come with covers.

Reactions
Caliper covers are a complete waste of money and look absolutely ridiculous.......IMHO. It is your money though.

Car dealers must love the internet.

Reactions
I would never put something like that on the car, it could affect cooling and they are the functional equivalent of nipples on men,

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Your calipers look exactly as they were designed to run. There isn't a reason in the world to add a caliper cover unless you were trying to change the red cover.

Now that said, when I took delivery of my Exploder, there were clear protective caliper covers on one side of the car. They were supposed to have been removed somewhere along the way and it was missed. It was only about a 15-mile ride home but boy did they smell bad. If they would have melted on the calipers it would have been a real mess.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Caliper covers are only good for telling the world you need to be placed in a conservatorship because if you would willingly spend any amount of money on something like that, you shouldn't be in control of your finances.

Caliper covers are for pretending you have higher performance brakes without actually doing anything about it. So you're in the group of people slapping AMG badges on an E350, M badges on a 320, and throwing on a wig/dress or dropping a banana in your shorts and pretending to be a different gender. Not a group most would recommend joining.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
To tap into the fact that the brakes do look as little “unfinished” has anyone tried brake caliper decals? Doesn’t seem to be a lot of surface area for that, but thought it could upgrade the look.

Reactions
To tap into the fact that the brakes do look as little “unfinished” has anyone tried brake caliper decals? Doesn’t seem to be a lot of surface area for that, but thought it could upgrade the look.
no