Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

BLACK LUG NUT UPGRADE

Reactions
we have the correct size seat McGard lugs or the Ford Performance set which are exactly like your stock lugs only Black PVD coated , take a look !

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...wheel-lock-kit-2020-explorer-st-free-shipping

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...it-oe-style-black-pvd-coated-2020-explorer-st
Hey. So I was looking at the Ford Preformance ones you have. I see the ship time it 2-3 weeks. I'd that correct?

Reactions
Hey. So I was looking at the Ford Preformance ones you have. I see the ship time it 2-3 weeks. I'd that correct?
yes , we have some stock on order but still not here in Vegas as of right now
The McGard option is in stock though

Reactions
I'm debating them. I usually try to oem.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
This is just for future reference. Both of these lug nuts are Gorilla lug nuts, both are 14x1.5, and both take a 21mm socket, they also both have the same taper on the shoulder. One is a large bulge nut and one is what I call a peanut lug nut. Anyway... probably more than anyone wanted to know. Our Exploders with factory wheels take the larger lug nut.

WIN_20220111_13_22_06_Pro.jpg

Reactions
This is just for future reference. Both of these lug nuts are Gorilla lug nuts, both are 14x1.5, and both take a 21mm socket, they also both have the same taper on the shoulder. One is a large bulge nut and one is what I call a peanut lug nut. Anyway... probably more than anyone wanted to know. View attachment 9355
Where does one find the one on the right??

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Where does one find the one on the right??
I can't remember which vehicle I had that took the little one. It might have been a 2010 Edge but don't hold me to that.

Reactions
I can't remember which vehicle I had that took the little one. It might have been a 2010 Edge but don't hold me to that.
Ahh I picked up some rims and the stock lugs are too fat so I need some skinnys... as long as they are 14x1.5 then im good to go correct?

Reactions
Nvm before someone roasts me... ron @ whoosh posted some that hes selling that would work great. I just need to scroll up and open my eyes I suppose!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Ahh I picked up some rims and the stock lugs are too fat so I need some skinnys... as long as they are 14x1.5 then im good to go correct?
No one should be roasting you for a legit question. The 14x1.5 only takes into consideration the stud size and thread pitch. The wheel may require a different diameter shoulder and taper on the shoulder.

Reactions
No one should be roasting you for a legit question. The 14x1.5 only takes into consideration the stud size and thread pitch. The wheel may require a different diameter shoulder and taper on the shoulder.
Do you think the Ford Performance Black are better or the name as gorilla or mcgard. I usually like to stay oem but is there really a difference?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I haven't run the Ford Performance lug nuts but they look nice and probably should be at that price. They advertise a different coating and claim it holds up better. I have run both the Gorilla and McGard and I thought the Gorilla line held its colors better and didn't rust as easily. I coat my lug nuts before installing them. I think that helps regardless of whose product you might try.

Reactions
Thanks. I went with the ford performance. Let's see how it goes

Reactions
Ordered a set of McGards from @ron@whooshmotorsports literally yesterday and they already shipped and should see them tomorrow according to FedEx.. probably the fastest turn-around, minus ordering nespresso pods, I've ever seen.

Thank you sir!

Reactions
Ordered a set of McGards from @ron@whooshmotorsports literally yesterday and they already shipped and should see them tomorrow according to FedEx.. probably the fastest turn-around, minus ordering nespresso pods, I've ever seen.

Thank you sir!
thank you !

Reactions
so are there a quality set that will work with the factory wheels and aftermarket? I see the larger budge units for factory wheels, but will the smaller ones work correctly. I want to avoid buying things twice...

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
so are there a quality set that will work with the factory wheels and aftermarket? I see the larger budge units for factory wheels, but will the smaller ones work correctly. I want to avoid buying things twice...
what I read was the ford performance works on stock wheels only. I think that was off Whoosh website. I have a bad memory though so maybe a different website?

EDIT this is off Whoosh website (copy and paste)

Please Note: These Lug Nuts from Ford Performance are designed to fit OEM Ford wheels only. They are not compatible with any other brand of wheel.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Use the buldge nuts for factory wheels. It's not that the smaller nut won't fit the stud, it just isn't what the wheel was designed to use.

Vados2009

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thanks,
I just ordered a set.
We will see how they are. For 27.50 shipped had to try them.
so what's the verdict?

bobter3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer W/SAP
I used FordPass points to get them from Tasca Ford. $0 out of pocket!!! Set of 20 Black lug nuts Ford Performance part # M1012KMB

Vados2009

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I used FordPass points to get them from Tasca Ford. $0 out of pocket!!! Set of 20 Black lug nuts Ford Performance part # M1012KMB
how many points was that? I was hoping to use points for my first oil change later..