Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

BLACK LUG NUT UPGRADE

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
HELLO EVERYONE.
EASIER TO PUT THE QUESTION HERE THEN ANYWHERE ELSE.
I HAVE THE STREET PACK BLACK WHEELS AND WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE THE CHROME LUGS WITH BLACK ONES.
WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS USED AS REPLACEMENTS?
THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE.

Reactions
Reactions

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
You'd have to give them to me in order for me to choose to run the Black 'FORD' lug nuts. This has been discussed several times on this forum. I for one have just seen too many issues with sheet metal-capped lugnuts.

If I'm paying like dollars for black lugnuts it won't be ones with covers. That said, I'm sure climate and handling have much to do with the issues associated with capped lug nuts. McGard and Gorrila are options I'd look long and hard at. I've used Gorilla on the last several vehicles I've owned.

Last edited:
Reactions
You'd have to give them to me in order for me to choose to run the Black 'FORD' lug nuts. This has been discussed several times on this forum. I for one have just seen too many issues with sheet metal-capped lugnuts.

If I'm paying like dollars for black lugnuts it won't be ones with covers. That said, I'm sure climate and handling have much to do with the issues associated with capped lug nuts. McGard and Gorrila are options I'd look long and hard at. I've used Gorilla on the last several vehicles I've owned.
From the Ford Performance description, they are one-piece with a PVD coating…?
Thought about these briefly, especially since the hex is the same, but never bothered.
Steeda has them for around $150 which isn’t too unreasonable.

32C155EA-3BD8-4BFE-ABEE-EBE12F09C640.jpeg

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Ahhh... thank you. I assumed and badly I might add, that these were just Ford's typical black lug nuts. I glanced briefly at the pic and it looks like a capped nut. I didn't read any further.

Last edited:
OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #12
All valuable info, which is why I posted the question here. Yes I agree, do not want lugs that are capped. I like the gorilla lugs someone posted here.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have always liked and used the McGards. Not only do you get a bit of security, but you only have to use one special lug on each wheel. A minor thing I admit, but one that makes it a bit easier than Gorilla's version where all of the lugs are coded.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
1641644478004.jpeg
The Gorilla lug on the left is over 6 years old. granted, only used for my summer set up. The one on the right is the 'Factory Style' Gorilla lug. The key to keeping them nice is to wax them once in a while, when you wax your wheels.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I bought these https://www.americanmuscle.com/black-acorn-lug-nuts-1516.html they were only 20 bucks and change, are solid 1 piece design and use the same 21mm socket as the factory lug nuts. Don't know who makes them, but for the price I'm guessing they are made in china. But like i said for the price who cares where they came from.

Since the 20+ explorers/aviators use a 14mm wheel stud just like the 2015+ mustangs do, you can peruse mustang sites for some parts.

Last edited:
OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #16
I bought these https://www.americanmuscle.com/black-acorn-lug-nuts-1516.html they were only 20 bucks and change, are solid 1 piece design and use the same 21mm socket as the factory lug nuts. Don't know who makes them, but for the price I'm guessing they are made in china. But like i said for the price who cares where they came from.

Since the 20+ explorers/aviators use a 14mm wheel stud just like the 2015+ mustangs do, you can peruse mustang sites for some parts.
Thanks,
I just ordered a set.
We will see how they are. For 27.50 shipped had to try them.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thanks,
I just ordered a set.
We will see how they are. For 27.50 shipped had to try them.

If the picture is of the actual product those will fit the stud and that taper is right but they don't appear to be the large bulge nut. Ford uses the larger bulge on their larger hubs/wheels, for more surface area contact. The Exploder uses the Truck size lug nuts as opposed to the car-sized lug nuts.

@Autoworker picture above actually even though not the same application shows a pretty good picture of the larger and smaller shoulders on the nut.

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Actually they are a perfect match to the factory lugs nuts. The factory capped lugs that came on my mustang are an exact match for the ones that came on my explorer, and use the same socket size as the factory capped nuts do and are the same height. The picture on the american muscle web page is not accurate, they fit just fine and are a good replacement for the factory nuts.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Actually they are a perfect match to the factory lugs nuts. The factory capped lugs that came on my mustang are an exact match for the ones that came on my explorer, and use the same socket size as the factory capped nuts do and are the same height. The picture on the american muscle web page is not accurate, they fit just fine and are a good replacement for the factory nuts.
My comment was only based on the premise that the picture in the link was accurate.

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #20
My comment was only based on the premise that the picture in the link was accurate.
I will definitely inspect the lugs closely in comparison to the factory lugs before installation.
The more posts I read on here the more I second guess mods that I would like to do.