Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Black and blue screen for camera all the time

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hey all,

I recently got a 21 explorer ST and I'm loving it so far. However, I recently got the dreaded blue screen of death. It happens all the time though and I get the parking assist unavailable message as well. Dealer says they can't do anything while recall "remedy is under development", which who knows how long that will be. My question is does the backup camera recall also affect the parking sensors? Because those don't work as well. And for anyone who has the blue screen, is it all the time or sometimes? Thank you for any input!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Welcome to the Ford Family.

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Mine used to get it all the time. I'd shut off the vehicle and restart and it would clear. Aggravation at the finest.

OP
Supersam5000
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Mine used to get it all the time. I'd shut off the vehicle and restart and it would clear. Aggravation at the finest.
See mine wont work period. Restarting and hard resetting SYNC have no effect. Im fairly certain my camera needs to be changed but dealer is saying Ford won't pay for it since it's an open recall. Just frustrating that this has been going on for so long, and Ford issues a recall with no remedy in sight.

hbalek

Reactions
Early 2022 my camera was replaced after the software update didn't work. Now it works most of the time. Every few weeks I get a brief blue screen for a second then it goes back to normal. Before replacement the screen would stay blue until a key cycle or Sync soft reset.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My 2020 will do a blue screen for the rear camera 50% of the time. It's rare that all of the cameras go blue. My wife's 2022 works every time so far (knock on wood).

OP
Supersam5000
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Hey guys,

Just as a reference, I see this anytime I try to back up the car. It goes away after about 10 seconds saying rear camera is unavailable.

Attachments

Reactions
Mines at the dealer right now for a catalytic convertor issue, asked if they could fix it while it was there, got the same story. Crazy after 3 years of production they can't figure it out. My Sync has lost all its memory functions as well, every time I restart the truck I have to set everything up from scratch. Ford told me there should be an update coming to fix it but no eta

OP
Supersam5000
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11

cegledi

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I just got another recall notice to fix the rear camera issue. This will be the third time they’ve tried. Not a big deal, glad they are addressing it. What bothers me more (weirdly enough) is when only half of my navigation shows up. I just push the Home button and then back to the Nav button and it’s full screen but c’mon Ford.

hbalek

Reactions
I just got another recall notice to fix the rear camera issue. This will be the third time they’ve tried. Not a big deal, glad they are addressing it. What bothers me more (weirdly enough) is when only half of my navigation shows up. I just push the Home button and then back to the Nav button and it’s full screen but c’mon Ford.
The map is a software issue that affects many other Sync 3 functions. Settings revert to default, navigation history is empty, preset pages for Sirius revert to 2 instead of 5, etc. I'm so annoyed with it. My map displays only the bottom half and about once a week or less the map reappears full-screen but don't hold your breath. Ford is working on another version of the software to fix these issues and it's not expected until 2 months from now. I've already lived with this for 3 months. The camera was thought to be a software issue at first but then they replaced my camera and it has been better but apparently another more permanent solution is on the horizon for this. NHTSA is on Ford's back for a lot of issue on the Explorer.