Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Battery Replaced at 19 Months/19K Miles

hbalek

Reactions
Yesterday at a red light, the Auto Start/Stop cut off my engine with AC and radio running. In a couple minutes instead of the engine restarting (it was a 95 degree hot/humid day) I lost all electrical power. The engine would not restart and could not even flash the hazards! I opened the hood, a cop came and jumped it for me. I drove straight to the dealer. They tested the battery and electrical system. They determined it was a bad battery cell and replaced the battery free of charge. I was told their batteries have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. In 36 years of driving, this is my first time that a battery didn't even make it 2 years. Usually I've replaced batteries about every 3-5 years. How's everyone else doing with their original battery?

Reactions
1.5 years and 20k miles for now! Havent seen anyone else with battery issues yet so you probably have a lemon battery.

Reactions
I blame it on "auto stop/start" Such a tremendously bad feature. Some fool determined it saves gas. In reality it kills batteries/starters/ turbo bearings as well as all other mechanical oil fed components. Get the start stop eliminator! I do realize that in South FL batteries maybe last 3 years from the heat alone but when mine goes I will upgrade to a better one.

Tommy

F=MA

Reactions
Agreed, an extremely poor idea to check some "eco" box. Probably the number one cause of battery issues in new vehicles.