Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bad Vibration After Tire Rotation

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
One time, at band camp....

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I actually see this in the shop a lot and I've always attributed it to car washes or some other contaminant. The pads are hot when the vehicle is stopped and you get those transfer marks as the rotor is cooled. That coupled with whatever the car wash is spraying on your car leaves those nice looking deposits. Brake pad deposit from stomping on the brakes (and they would have to be pretty hot) leaves more of a smear pattern and not the straight vertical lines as pictured. I get on my brakes very hard a couple of times a week to the point that the abs takes over I don't have marks like that. Anything is possible though.

It sucks about your wheel issue and you may never know what happened but if I had to guess I would say that it happened after you took the vehicle back from the dealer. Most people are pretty in tune with how their vehicle feels while driving and while we may not notice small things we do notice when all of a sudden things aren't right and that's why I think it happened after the dealer. What I believe happened is that your tires were rotated and then you started to get a belt separation. They put the assembly on a balancer and saw a wobble and said it was the rim. I've seen this exact same scenario play out before, I've even had it happen to me and one of my techs swore up and down it was a bent rim when in fact it was a belt seperation.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That is an informative and interesting post. Bravo Sir!

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #66
I just read up on some info online about pad imprinting, which seems to be the case here. I would have thought that after noticing it and driving around after that it would have disappeared by now.

Regarding the wheel. I asked a half dozen times if they checked the integrity of the tire itself and they reassured me the tire was fine. They mentioned that when they took the tire off to send the wheel to the repair vendor they inspected the tire as well. No issues so far with any vibration after a couple weeks of having it back.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #67
Welp the vibration after the wheel repair has reared its ugly head again four weeks in. Not as bad as the first time around but noticeable around 75-80. No steering wheel shake this time and vibration has moved more to the center of vehicle. I have lost track of how many times this ST has been back to the dealership since I bought a year ago.