Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bad Vibration After Tire Rotation

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
It does seem to be the least expensive route, depending on how severely it is bent, it may or may not be possible to fix. I remember when I worked at a tire shop, we had a wheel repair guy, $400 seems awfully high though, but I haven't worked in the industry in about 8-10 years

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
The wheel refinishing/repair is something i've done countless times. Any good place will warranty the rim so you wouldn't get another bad one. With the easy gloss finish of the street pack wheels I would highly suggest that route. Stock rims are always stupid expensive. Better luck buying a set here or like others have mentioned on eBay or similar venues.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
Ended up going the repair route and hoping to have it back tomorrow.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
I would jump all over that if there weren't 1,000 miles away ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Thats a weekend road trip lol

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
Update from dealership service advisor. Wheel still appears to be bent after getting it back from their wheel repair vendor!!!!!!!

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I have seen too many times where what was thought to be a bent wheel was actually the cords in the tire that are starting to come apart...on a balancer it looks exactly like a bent wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I have seen too many times where what was thought to be a bent wheel was actually the cords in the tire that are starting to come apart...on a balancer it looks exactly like a bent wheel.

Was just gonna ask if they road forced it. Tires that new would be very odd to see bad tire.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #30
They were road forced. The wheel called for 8oz on one side and 6oz on another side. Tires are still the original from factory with 33k miles on them. I would hope that the service department was competent enough to check the tire as well.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
They were road forced. The wheel called for 8oz on one side and 6oz on another side. Tires are still the original from factory with 33k miles on them. I would hope that the service department was competent enough to check the tire as well.
Holy shit that's a lot of weight...too much as a matter of fact. Find an independent tire shop and have them dismount the tire and check the rim.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Holy shit that's a lot of weight...too much as a matter of fact. Find an independent tire shop and have them dismount the tire and check the rim.
Agreed that’s a crap ton lol. More than an oz and I’d be looking at other issues.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #33
I will have another update on Monday. Not too sure what's going on at this point. Initially Ford mentioned the wheel was bent after the road force balancing, sent it to the repair vendor, came back still bent, back to the repair vendor a second time. If it is not fixed come Monday, there will be hell to pay since it will be a week at the dealership.

Buck Nutz

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Yeah, that's most likely the case here. Probably hit something and didn't notice. Depending on bad it is bent (still waiting on confirmation), should I go the repair route?
Hell, I'd buy the one on ebay for $500+ w/ free shipping IMO

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #35
Hell, I'd buy the one on ebay for $500+ w/ free shipping IMO
Might be going that route if Ford continues to give me the run around. If I would of known this would have turned into a fiasco/waiting game, I would have bought a used one by now.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #36
Another update as of today. Ford texted me stating that the wheel repair vendor mentioned that the wheel in not repairable after the second try. He also mentioned that it is twisted and he had never seen that before without side impact, which there are no signs of and that the wheel will have to be replaced. Sounds like a manufacturer defect at this point and it should be covered under warranty correct?

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Another update as of today. Ford texted me stating that the wheel repair vendor mentioned that the wheel in not repairable after the second try. He also mentioned that it is twisted and he had never seen that before without side impact, which there are no signs of and that the wheel will have to be replaced. Sounds like a manufacturer defect at this point and it should be covered under warranty correct?
I think if you had done that much damage to the wheel, then you would have had some tire damage also. I bent a wheel years ago when I hit a pothole and the tire blew out immediately. If you have tire damage, that will likely explain the wheel being bent. If not, a possible defect with the wheel. You could also try to see if your insurance will cover the wheel. I would certainly get a new tire also.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #38
There are zero visible signs of damage to both the tire and the wheel and those are the words directly from both Ford and their wheel repair vendor. I also called my independent insurance agent who advised against filing a claim since it is considered a collision claim and my premiums would more than likely go up.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
So were you charged for the repair? I wouldn't be ok with that if they are unable to repair it

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
So were you charged for the repair? I wouldn't be ok with that if they are unable to repair it
My next follow up. They're saying the brand new wheel is bent but can't see any signs of damage anywhere else I'd be pointing at defect or something that they should help you with for sure. Gonna come down to the dealer and the shop. The fact that they're on your side agreeing with the issues helps a lot.