Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bad Torque Converter

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
Just got off the phone with the dealership after bringing it in for a shuddering feeling under moderate acceleration. Was told the torque converter was the culprit. My st has 49,9XX miles on it so thankfully covered by warranty. Bad news is a new one is on backorder and was told it could be 1 week- 6 months. They are giving me the car back to drive as it is not super severe but I am worried this will cause other problems with the trans and if it does would they blame the issue on driving with the faulty part and not cover additional damage. Anyone else have this problem? I'm bone stock besides wheels, catch can x pipe and valvetronic mufflers.

Reactions
The parts coverage on these things is absolutely ridiculous. Mine is sitting at the dealer with a 2nd failed rear end, with no ETA. I got 2 days-1yr as an estimate.

The thing that pisses me off, is that they're pushing this crap out at the rate of 100's per day, but people that have already paid for these pieces of crap are sitting here waiting on parts for months, while new vehicles are being made.

When I worked at John Deere, service parts ALWAYS took priority to production.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Clearly it is more important to Ford to keep pumping out new vehicles rather that take care of the hundreds or thousands of customers waiting for parts. There appears to be quite a few parts with long lead times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zim

Reactions
If it wasn’t covered under warranty I’d say get it rebuilt. I work at a torque converter company seeing more and more 10 speeds every day.

OP
E
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
Thread Starter #5
If it wasn’t covered under warranty I’d say get it rebuilt. I work at a torque converter company seeing more and more 10 speeds every day.
Got a call last week that the TC came in was supposed to pick up my st today and told me the got the new one in but the shuddering problem is still there and may have gotten a bad one from the factory or there is some other problem. Wonder how long that'll take.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Got a call last week that the TC came in was supposed to pick up my st today and told me the got the new one in but the shuddering problem is still there and may have gotten a bad one from the factory or there is some other problem. Wonder how long that'll take.
Did you end up getting to the bottom of this?

OP
E
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
Thread Starter #7
Yea, it ended up being the transfer case that needed to be replaced. Only took them two perfectly fine torque converters to realize it was something else.
Did you end up getting to the bottom of this?