Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bad MPG

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Definitely a negative. The pennies "saved" on fuel will be eaten up by battery and starter replacements.
I think it's FORD trying to bring up their overall fleet MPG numbers, and not so much an owner cost savings thing ...

icedotholla

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I average 9.8 MPG with city driving.

I'm in NYC...

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
You are 143.788% correct.
Heh, like a broken clock I can occasionally be correct. Lol

OP
P

Pjon8696

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer St
Thread Starter #45
Yeah
Something is very very wrong with your vehicle and it needs to be taken into your dealer ASAP. There is severe friction occuring somewhere in your driveline (anything wrong with the engine would be throwing codes left and right), you are severely out of alignment, or a brake is dragging and continuing to drive this vehicle is only going to make those things worse. Even when mine was BRAND new (< 20 miles on the odometer), I still got 16+mpg. 8 is beyond belief. Don't leave the dealership until they either find the issue and correct it, or they give you a new Explorer.[/QUOTE
I HAVE APT NEXT WEEK. I will stand my ground. I just thought it may of been common. I heard some crazy numbers for the hellcat so I was in awe.

OP
P

Pjon8696

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer St
Thread Starter #46

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Are you possibly a comedian? Any chance you are the type of person that brakes with their left foot and forgets that they are pressing the brake continuously?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Are you possibly a comedian? Any chance you are the type of person that brakes with their left foot and forgets that they are pressing the brake continuously?
If you press the Gas and brake peddle at the same time, The Dash pop up with a message saying "Reduced Engine Power” .

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
If you press the Gas and brake peddle at the same time, The Dash pop up with a message saying "Reduced Engine Power” .
Unless you're at a standstill, which is power braking.;)

KegsBdry

Reactions
I used to only drive in Sport mode and could not get the MPG under 14.5.
Either something is causing friction to slow your vehicle down or you got something else wrong with the vehicle.
Leave it at your dealership or the next one down the road to have it diagnosed. The window sticker does not say 8mpg CITY.

OP
P

Pjon8696

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer St
Thread Starter #51
I used to only drive in Sport mode and could not get the MPG under 14.5.
Either something is causing friction to slow your vehicle down or you got something else wrong with the vehicle.
Leave it at your dealership or the next one down the road to have it diagnosed. The window sticker does not say 8mpg CITY.
The dealer called to cancel my appointment stating if there are no lights they have no reason to diagnose. Instead they submitted a claim to Ford for assistance.
I will have to go to another dealer perhaps to get the vehicle looked at.
Hopefully some Ford reps can assist.

Reactions
The dealer called to cancel my appointment stating if there are no lights they have no reason to diagnose. Instead they submitted a claim to Ford for assistance.
I will have to go to another dealer perhaps to get the vehicle looked at.
Hopefully some Ford reps can assist.
Get on a long flat road and set your cruise at 55-65 mph then reset the mpg's. That will tell you instantly if something is wrong with your vehicle. On a flat road at those speeds you should easily see 25 mpg on a fresh reset.

Take a video if it is less than 20, it might help you with ford.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Your situation sounds unique. I was having almost the same problem when I first got my ‘21 ST a few months ago.

I scanned through the thread so I apologize if you answered this already, have you really gotten that terrible mileage through an entire tank? Like filled up and drove 150 miles and then was able to fill the tank again with 15-16 gallons going in? System may need to calibrate and just showing bad numbers that’s all.

With my experience I would fill up and miles to empty wouldn’t get over 180’ish. MPG was terrible. Drove great and no leaks or codes, nothing. Dealer looked it over after I went through first tank. Nothing. I was getting more miles to a tank than the gauge said. After third or fourth tank it calibrated and was fine.

Sorry if I repeated. Seems too similar to not give my input. Good luck and keep us posted.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Any update on OP? 265B7370-7D00-4FFA-A457-28F7144A4972.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Not sure how MPG is calculated on this thing. Today I had to reluctantly addend a family 1 year old birthday party too far away which was 85 miles one direction. Making sure I had enough fuel prior to leaving estimated remaining was 253 miles. Got home a couple hours ago and now after drinking in the garage I was curious of what was left since I have to do more family bullshit and go to a corn maze tomorrow and want to make sure I time myself right in the morning for getting more fuel.

Estimated till empty is only 204 miles!!! I did a 170 mile round trip but it claims only 49 miles was used???? Absolutely impossible, maybe it will correct itself tomorrow on my 30 mile round trip and tell me I used 150.

Current calculated dash MPG is 19.8. Not going to ask the wife, since this is her truck, to calculate fill ups and I only drive it occasionally because then she will make me cook dinner. Something is off in dash calculations but we are not getting 8 gpm.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I've seen the DTE actually go up a fair bit, from puttering around town to just the basic commute then some mid-speed two-lane road.The slow(er), steady speed increased the DTE.