Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bad MPG

Pjon8696

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer St
Hello all,

Just got 2022 Ford Explorer St on 7/29. I know this beast has 400HP, but am I crazy to expect better than 8.0 MPG city. I drive on eco mode & conservative. Could it be because I am running on 87 fuel?

Please share thoughts on what I can do. 18/24 is epa estimate. Realistically I thought 12-15 is what I would get. Maybe I just need to break it in more. It has approx 273 miles.

Thanks

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Break it in. Check tire pressure. I’ve never seen below 17 in my 22 ST and that was in the cold of the winter. Suburb driving majority. But it’s definitely not the 87.

Last edited:
Reactions
If you haven't already, reset the MPG settings on the dash and drive normally to see what it averages out to. I ran 87 when I first bought mine and was averaging 19-20MPG. I now run 91 or 93 and average 20-21MPG.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you haven't already, reset the MPG settings on the dash and drive normally to see what it averages out to. I ran 87 when I first bought mine and was averaging 19-20MPG. I now run 91 or 93 and average 20-21MPG.
Yeah good point on resetting the mpg.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
22 mpg is normal (wife driving) for us in a mixed driving (city/highway) in the Houston area. With me driving it is more like 18 mpg. 34 psi tire pressure running 93. We have 12k miles on it now and seems to have settled out.

OP
P

Pjon8696

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer St
Thread Starter #6
Break it in. Check tire pressure. I’ve never seen below 17 in my 22 ST and that was in the cold of the winter. Suburb driving majority. But it’s definitely not the 87.
yeah I will continue to drive it. Tire pressure is all 34 PSI.

OP
P

Pjon8696

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer St
Thread Starter #7
yeah I already reset it but it continues to go 8.0 MPG. It is really concerning because I am not even ripping it. Imagine if I did. Just disappointing. I just think it is the city driving.

OP
P

Pjon8696

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer St
Thread Starter #8
22 mpg is normal (wife driving) for us in a mixed driving (city/highway) in the Houston area. With me driving it is more like 18 mpg. 34 psi tire pressure running 93. We have 12k miles on it now and seems to have settled out.
I haven’t driven much since we got it only 270 miles since 7/29. I wish I would see 18mpg. I hope it is not a defect in the motor.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I haven’t driven much since we got it only 270 miles since 7/29. I wish I would see 18mpg. I hope it is not a defect in the motor.
If it is running good, don't worry about it until the motor breaks in. Do like the other suggest, reset the mpg and run a few tanks of gas through it.

OP
P

Pjon8696

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer St
Thread Starter #10
At what point should I be concerned. It’s already on 2 tank.

Reactions
Reset the mileage while you are driving somewhere flat and straight that you can just cruise at 55-65 mph for a few minutes. You should be mid to high 20's in those conditions. If you are under 20 mpg driving at those speeds on a flat road, something is wrong. City driving and idling will bring the mpg's down really quick without a doubt, but 8 seems pretty extreme.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST - STAR WHITE
I have noticed on mine that the mileage QUICKLY deteriorates if you spend a lot of idle time.
Only have 300 miles, and am on my second tank of gas, so it doesn't really concern me yet.

OP
P

Pjon8696

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer St
Thread Starter #13
I have noticed on mine that the mileage QUICKLY deteriorates if you spend a lot of idle time.
Only have 300 miles, and am on my second tank of gas, so it doesn't really concern me yet.
I would assume the engine stop start is beneficial. For me I think it is a negative. I don’t think I can turn it off on mine.

Reactions
I would assume the engine stop start is beneficial. For me I think it is a negative. I don’t think I can turn it off on mine.
There should be a button right by the mode selector to turn it off.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Were you able to manually calculate the fuel economy from your first tank of fuel? I wonder if the computer's calculations are off and need to be reset? As previously mentioned, idle time, wether stopped at a light or utilizing the remote start feature brings fuel economy down fairly quickly. My first step would be to run a couple manual calculations.

OP
P

Pjon8696

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer St
Thread Starter #18
Were you able to manually calculate the fuel economy from your first tank of fuel? I wonder if the computer's calculations are off and need to be reset? As previously mentioned, idle time, wether stopped at a light or utilizing the remote start feature brings fuel economy down fairly quickly. My first step would be to run a couple manual calculations.
I will do a manual calculation next tank

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There is an auto-stop/start eliminator that can be purchased. So, there is an option. I believe that if you get a tune, they can also disable it. Or, you can drive around in Sport mode which also disables it. I always use my parking brake when I park, so it's just become natural to me to release the brake and then push the disable button.