Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bad battery?

MSF

U.S. Navy Veteran
EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Only the drivers door opens with touch, and the start/stop function has the circle with the line thru it. And it goes in deep sleep mode frequently. I drive it every day it’s not like it sits for days at a time. Dealer said battery was good at last service, but it sure sounds like it’s a battery issue. Any thoughts?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
How old is your battery? 3 years or more and I would just replace it. Iirc there were some early software updated for that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just had mine tested 6 months later after my last oil change. Said good battery per the tech. Yet I’m getting deep sleep messages, handles not responding, etc. I know it’s just a failing battery but they won’t replace until your dead on the road or it fails that test. It’s annoying. I know this is an issue because I do such short trip driving.

Back on the battery tender she goes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I'm not a mechanic but I've found that when I drive somewhere to get the battery tested, it puts just enough charge on it to give a satisfactory reading. I don't know if that's what's happening but just a thought. I agree with Cruising68. Just get a new one. And it looks like a real P.I.T.A. to change

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm not a mechanic but I've found that when I drive somewhere to get the battery tested, it puts just enough charge on it to give a satisfactory reading. I don't know if that's what's happening but just a thought. I agree with Cruising68. Just get a new one. And it looks like a real P.I.T.A. to change
Takes about 2 minutes longer than a normal underhood battery.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just had mine tested 6 months later after my last oil change. Said good battery per the tech. Yet I’m getting deep sleep messages, handles not responding, etc. I know it’s just a failing battery but they won’t replace until your dead on the road or it fails that test. It’s annoying. I know this is an issue because I do such short trip driving.

Back on the battery tender she goes.
I don’t understand waiting until a complete failure when you know you have a problem. Batteries are cheap and easy to swap…I’d much rather pay out of pocket than get stranded at some inopportune time.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don’t understand waiting until a complete failure when you know you have a problem. Batteries are cheap and easy to swap…I’d much rather pay out of pocket than get stranded at some inopportune time.
That is true. But I have a portable jump starter in the car. So even if dead, I’ll jump and be on my way. I haven’t had any issues with the car running. If that starts happening, I’ll just swap it out. But I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have to replace the battery of a less than 2 year old car.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That is true. But I have a portable jump starter in the car. So even if dead, I’ll jump and be on my way. I haven’t had any issues with the car running. If that starts happening, I’ll just swap it out. But I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have to replace the battery of a less than 2 year old car.
What people shouldn’t have to do and what they wind up doing are often times the same thing.
It’s a battery…sometimes they only last for a couple of years.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What people shouldn’t have to do and what they wind up doing are often times the same thing.
It’s a battery…sometimes they only last for a couple of years.
I know but clearly the battery is a weak point in this car. So many people get it replaced under warranty. I think it’s just such a power hungry car. Maybe I need to start including more prolonged spirited trips during my week. Charge that battery up some more lol

Reactions
I know but clearly the battery is a weak point in this car. So many people get it replaced under warranty. I think it’s just such a power hungry car. Maybe I need to start including more prolonged spirited trips during my week. Charge that battery up some more lol
Or just stick a battery charger on it one night a week to make sure it stays charged.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Or just stick a battery charger on it one night a week to make sure it stays charged.
that’s what I’ve been doing once every few months. Might just make a monthly thing at this point. Simple enough to do.

Reactions
that’s what I’ve been doing once every few months. Might just make a monthly thing at this point. Simple enough to do.
If your vehicle is left outside in the winter and it gets cold where you live, a discharged battery will be damaged every time it freezes. I think newer vehicles have such a high electrical draw during normal use that every start drains the battery down and unless you drive a significant amount each trip it will eventually be fully discharged. If you allow auto start/stop to operate as well, then you may stop and start the vehicle several times each trip which will compound the problem. Either drive it or charge it regularly.