Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Backup brake assist

Reactions
I recently brought my Explorer to the dealer for the camera recall. Has anyone experienced that God awful emergency braking when backing up? Like if a kid comes running out behind you. After Ford fixed the recall, I was backing up and out of nowhere, the truck slammed on the brakes scaring the crap out of me and nearly snapping my head off. There was absolutely nothing behind me or anywhere even close to me. Has anyone had this occur or does anyone know what tha heck could have caused this to happen?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I’ve had it happen three times. First two were backing out of the garage. I jumped out to access the damage. Third time was backing into a parking space with a group of friends watching. I yelled out “what’d I hit” and one of them yelled back “why’d you jamb on the brakes”.

Reactions
I am pretty sure it can see a freaking ant! If you ever get a hitch mounted bike rack, be sure to shut it off!

Reactions
Happened to me twice now. Scared me as well!
I was hoping if I did hit anything it wouldnt be a person...only hit the air!

hbalek

Reactions
This happens periodically and it's a flaw with the image sensor or whatever determines an obstacle in path. I've noticed it can get triggered by shadows or marking on the pavement. The damn thing is easily confused! So it's either too sensitive or doesn't work at all when the "reverse brake assist not available" warning message pops up or the dreaded blue screen of death occurs.

Reactions
I need to turn mine off before leaving, or arriving at my garage. Its not a huge garage, double garage and I have two cars in it. Everything sets the system off and twice now as I left early in the morning it hit the brake hard, even though I knew I still had space. Instead of giving myself a heart attack, I just turn it off now before coming home, or before I leave.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
That's so crazy. I never had an issue with it until they did the recall. I literally thought I hit a pole in the middle of the road. Hahahaha