Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Back from ceramic coating

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@Symetry, I’m not really sure how to keep a thread like this going as it began life with the OP showing off his beautifully coated ST. We didn’t really get into any conversation about what type of products people like.

It might be an idea to start a new thread that discusses users favorite products and certainly allow everyone a voice to discuss why they like or use these product. There isn’t any one end all product and what works for one may not be a good choice for the next guy. I feel bad that I was part of styfuling this thread. I’d ask the OP and for the rest of you folks to forgive me for my part in that.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
@Symetry, I’m not really sure how to keep a thread like this going as it began life with the OP showing off his beautifully coated ST. We didn’t really get into any conversation about what type of products people like.

It might be an idea to start a new thread that discusses users favorite products and certainly allow everyone a voice to discuss why they like or use these product. There isn’t any one end all product and what works for one may not be a good choice for the next guy. I feel bad that I was part of styfuling this thread. I’d ask the OP and for the rest of you folks to forgive me for my part in that.
I will echo this sentiment. I really think that if you go with a reputable brand (e.g., XPEL) and a product that actually requires curing, and you have a professional detailer do it for you, you will be very happy with your results.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

All I will say about it is... Not your fault, no apology necessary.

I will start a thread on product people like , because like I said, it's evolving technology.

Jim

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Let me lighten the mood a little. Also retired from the military at 39 and still working full time at 50. Well, I pretty much went over budget with the ST. Had a black 2017 XLT and wanted to upgrade. Got this white ST. In my opinion the ceramic coating may be more for the black vehicles I have always owned in the past and still have a 2006 Honda Accord that had the Simoniz coating that was available then. Car still looks good, but must say this ST shines, using my budget friendly $10 Turtlewax ceramic dry and shine coating each week. Attachmen.jpg

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Back to the OP, That's one shiny Explorer! I haven't seen a black one up close. Is it metallic? Back in 2015 when I bought my truck, all I could get was Tuxedo Black Metallic.

Reactions
I will jump in and say that I can vouch for ceramic coating. Like someone stated, the term is coined rather loosely. But the ones I consider actual ceramic costing (think ceramic pro) whose base compound is 9H, requires professional/certified installers is the real deal. If you apply it on top of clear bra (again done by professional installers), it can be well worth it, especially if you plan on keeping your ST for a long time (like I am). Plus I live in the middle of the desert so I kind of feel like some protection is warranted:

I will post pics when I get mine done. Currently mine is on order, after which I will have an appointment to take it straight to one of the most reputable retailers in Albuquerque:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Shame, could a been a really good conversation.

I always enjoy learning from everyone.

I'm not an expert or professional detailer, but I've gone thru many, many products in last 55 years , you know being a gearhead, and will more than like test many more.
Technology has sure changed over the years and I just gotta try them .

The last one I used , and it sure gives an awesome shine (black Corvette and truck) and seems to roll water good is a product called Nexgen. I may try something different this year just to learn.

Keep this thread going..
Inquiring minds want to know.

Jim
Looked up the Nexgen. Looks easy and worth a try! Getting a clear bra today. Hope it helps with chips.

Reactions
It does. Putting ceramic coating on top of that makes it even better. The quality of the installer makes all the difference...

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My brother in law has a sweet lifted up 2020 F350. He says he paid a few thousand for the ceramic coating. Tells me today that he and his son washed his truck and that his son used the bug scrubber on the truck and then it had bad swirl marks. Am I missing something, I thought this coating would prevent this from happening?

LT Lost

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I dont know what a bug scrubber is but if is an abrasive brush then it will scratch. (Disclaimer: I am Youtube trained) I am sharing my understanding. The ceramic is there to prevent dirt and water from adhering to the paint, protecting the paint and making it easier to wash and maintains an awesome shine without waxing. But you still have to use non-abrasive washing instruments. The clear bra protects from rock chips. I watch Chicago detailers videos,he reviews products and gives detailing techniques. I used the basic maintenance wash video for ceramic coated vehicles. He explains the importance of removing potential abrasive material on the car and a good car soap to help trap and remove the dirt plus two bucket method etc.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
Let me just chime in for a min and go on the record to say that I too live in South Florida, own a Black ST and could not be happier about the results of having my ST ceramic coated. I guess to each their own though.

Reactions
My brother in law has a sweet lifted up 2020 F350. He says he paid a few thousand for the ceramic coating. Tells me today that he and his son washed his truck and that his son used the bug scrubber on the truck and then it had bad swirl marks. Am I missing something, I thought this coating would prevent this from happening?
Why anyone would use the tire brush (full of scratchy bristles, rocks/sand/debris) on their paint blows my mind.

I die a little inside every time I see someone bring their brand new $100k black truck into the car wash and then go to town with the tire brush.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Why anyone would use the tire brush (full of scratchy bristles, rocks/sand/debris) on their paint blows my mind.

I die a little inside every time I see someone bring their brand new $100k black truck into the car wash and then go to town with the tire brush.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
It was just the other side of a car wash sponge that allows you to get the bugs off the front of your vehicle easier. Not really that abrasive at all. Same type I use all the time and never had a problem. But he says it left swirl marks in his ceramic coating and he had to have them buffed out.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Bug sponges are for glass, chrome bumpers, grills, license plates etc. If it’s advertised as a bug sponge I wouldn’t put it on my paint.

Reactions
Update: just took delivery before dropping it off at the detailer for full PPF, ceramic coating inside and outside, exoshield. I will update in a few weeks...

Last edited:
Reactions
NICE....and you got the red carpet treatment. that is 5 star care right there.

Reactions
Yeah the dealer that I dealt with gets pretty good reviews. It’s their practice to stage the vehicles in that bay for their customers once they PDI them.

Reactions
I guess you know what they say, “once you go black....”

Reactions
I also believe ceramic coating is a sales pitch and a gimmick. I've always taken pride in regularly detailing my own vehicles. I use a traditional paste wax applied and removed circularly by hand (no machine) twice a year, and use a brand name car wash soap with carnauba wax weekly. Looks brand new for years!! It is that easy, no clay bars or any abstract higher priced detailers ideas.