Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Auto Stop/Start

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
I actually appreciate this feature if it does indeed save fuel but there's one instance where it's unwarranted.
After doing a hard pull, I came up to a light and the first thing it did was shut down which is a no no after high boost. These turbos are supposed to cool down after peaking out and I'm surprised that with all the programming these STs have, that isn't taken into consideration. In a case where you're not expecting to do a hard pull, there may not be enough time to disable the autostop feature or even think about it before you come to a complete stop. I'd hate to disable the feature every time I drive predicated on the fact that I "may" have to step on it, climb a steep hill or some other tasking job for the turbos.
Your thoughts?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I shut it off as soon as I could. Zero benefit imo and worst case encourages wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2x 2023 Explorer STs
I went with the AutoStop Eliminator on my 23 ST. It allowed me to turn it off and keep it off without completely disabling the system. I also have one installed on my wife's 21 Expedition Max. Works flawlessly and I dont have to worry about poorly timed auto events.

Reactions
Vehicle
69 Mach 1
Hi All,
I actually appreciate this feature if it does indeed save fuel but there's one instance where it's unwarranted.
After doing a hard pull, I came up to a light and the first thing it did was shut down which is a no no after high boost. These turbos are supposed to cool down after peaking out and I'm surprised that with all the programming these STs have, that isn't taken into consideration. In a case where you're not expecting to do a hard pull, there may not be enough time to disable the autostop feature or even think about it before you come to a complete stop. I'd hate to disable the feature every time I drive predicated on the fact that I "may" have to step on it, climb a steep hill or some other tasking job for the turbos.
Your thoughts?
I think Sport Mode disables the autostart/stop function when active.

Most aftermarket tunes can also disable it completely.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I think Sport Mode disables the autostart/stop function when active.

Most aftermarket tunes can also disable it completely.
You are correct about sport mode disabling it, but the auto stop eliminator works on all drive modes, not just sport mode. Also, disabling it thru a tune is great, but if you ever need to use it, you have to reload the tune to turn it back on, you don't have to do that with eliminator. Just use the button on the console to turn it back on.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Lots of discussion on this topic. You touched on a big one being the engine turning off after a hard pull. That issue, premature wear and tear is the main reason that I disabled with the eliminator. All the components used to turn the car on and off, on and off. Any 'fuel savings' you might get from vehicle being off for a few seconds seems mitigated by the constant starting and stopping of the engine.

To each their own since my second biggest issue is the delay. Just not a fan of it. Eliminator is easiest way to go for sure but you've got some great suggestions on how to get around.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hi All,
Your thoughts?
I agree I hate Auto Start Stop also. There is a huge topic on a “cool down” period and we found out that the turbos continue to circulate oil and cool down even after you turn the car off.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the informative hits! This is the first I'm hearing of the auto stop eliminator. Is it a piece of hardware and if it is, how's the install? Where to purchase?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Reactions
Vehicle
69 Mach 1
You are correct about sport mode disabling it, but the auto stop eliminator works on all drive modes, not just sport mode. Also, disabling it thru a tune is great, but if you ever need to use it, you have to reload the tune to turn it back on, you don't have to do that with eliminator. Just use the button on the console to turn it back on.
Why would I turn it back on???…lol.

But There are times when I would like to toggle between a stock tune and AM….but I just go into eco currently on my Bolton ST.

When you load it up with passengers and cargo you can feel the shift difference and I feel bad for the 10R60 and that’s when it really needs to be a 10R80 or a 10R140

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Why would I turn it back on???
I've never had to, but it would come in handy if you're stuck in stop and go traffic on the highway and you're low on gas. Just sayin'
I also like knowing I have the option to use it even tho I never have and probably never will.