Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Auto Hold System Fault

Piper9t3

Reactions
For the most part the Auto Hold feature has been working great but I do occasionally get an Auto Hold System Fault message on my dash and the Auto Hold feature does not engage? If I shut off and restart the engine it seems to correct the problem but not sure what's causing the fault message to appear? Got a service call set up but wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with the Auto Hold.

Auto Hold Fault.jpg

Reactions
It’s happened to me twice since I bought it.

Reactions
I seem to see it after I start the vehicle remotely. After I get in, push the start button and shift into gear, I see it. Not all the time; colder outside temps may be a factor as well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Piper9t3

Reactions
I'm still getting this fault intermittently. My initial thoughts were maybe its linked to colder temperatures ? It was 0 C (32 F) over here yesterday (which is not extremely cold) and I got the fault message again. I have a service call arranged next week with my Ford dealer. I'll post back what they say....

lordboots

Reactions
I've been getting the same thing, and when it faults, the auto-start/stop doesn't work either. I'm wondering if I keep bringing it in for warranty if the lemon law will kick in and apply.

Reactions
Interestingly enough, I’ve noticed an increase in faults when I get the car washed and then go to drive it a short time later. In other words, go to the car wash on the way home, park it, then drive it an hour or two later. As soon as I start it up the warning lights start going off.

This is the third week the dealership has had it in for diagnostics/repairs since we bought the vehicle on 01/02/20. We are in the process of arranging a buyback with the dealership, and will more than likely stick with buying another ST. It’s a 10/19 build, so I’m wondering if it’s confined to only similar build dates, or it varies.

Reactions
Just this error or are you also getting Hill Start, Pre Collision, etc.? I got them in batches. There's another message thread with more details.

Reactions
Here's the errors we have seen since January 3, 2020. They usually come in batches, such as the Auto park error and the park aid fault come one after the other.

1. Auto park error
2. Park aid fault
3. Reverse brake assist not available
4. Service AdvanceTrac
5. 4WD Fault Service Required
6. Auto Hold System Fault
7. Pre-Collision Assist Not Available
8. Reverse Brake Assist Not Available Set Manual
9. Drive Mode Not Available
10. For Hill Descent Select Gear

Reactions
Yup...seen 'em all, and in batches, too. Always within a few seconds of starting the vehicle, regardless of it being first one of the day or after some road time. In short, my dealer replaced a transfer case motor (I think it was bad but unrelated to the issues) and eventually the ABS controller. No luck. Get pictures/video as proof and if you can keep the car running when they pop stop by a dealer. Mine was able to get error codes by running a diagnostic tool on a laptop. But, that pointed to the ABS so it's something else. The only one I know is "accurate" is the auto hold because that won't work for the duration of that drive - and I don't recall ever getting the errors on successive starts. The rest, well, I either haven't tested because I either didn't have a need or don't want to have an insurance claim (pre-collision assist, for example). ;o)

I'm really torn between swapping for another ST, flipping to a Platinum or punting and getting something else. Trouble is this ride is a lot of fun, roomy and is drop-dead gorgeous.